Brakes Need help

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
well after i switched rims the other day found out i have no rear brakes and half way my front ones so i want to do i full upgrade. Is there a kit i can get for the rear drums to replace everything and not just the pads?? Anoter thing is my driver side rear brake had oil in is there an outseal i can change or any ideas on that??

But hopefully i can stop a little better after this!!!!

Tom S

Reaction score
You need to change the seal in the hub if it was gear oil on the shoes. You should be able to get a spring kit for your brakes as well.

Tom S

Reaction score
It is just a seal so not a big deal. You will need the special socket for the wheel bearings. On the seal it will probably be an unusual one that is normally called a scotseal that turns on itself. I would go to a good parts place for this stuff with a smart counter guy and he will get you set.

sparksf250

Reaction score
Yodersstrokin I'm not any help at drum brakes but I can grab a 12 head 30 min up the road and watch ya work on them like a champ!!

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score

chromehound

Reaction score
so i would need one of each??

The top one I think does both sides - ask to be sure
The bottom link yes - 1 left, 1 right - so 2 total

Also grab some anti-sieze to put on the adjuster screws and I'd go ahead and do the wheel cylinders while it's all apart and look into either getting the drums turned or replaced if needed so you only have to tear it down once.

chromehound

Reaction score
If the drums haven't been off in a while you could be in for a fight. The drums on my dads old '96 F250 gasser were so worn in and rusted we finally took a big, sharp chisel and a BFH and broke the into a couple pieces to get them off. IIRC we had to break the edge off in a few spots of the drum to get them off after a good beating by the BFH.