Steering wobble cure? - VIDEO

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Good video though...

I am thinking that maybe it wasn't so much a trac bar issue.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
Fix/tighten your trac bar.

By fixing, I'm assuming you mean to replace with a bigger aftermarket bar. I'm sure that would help but then there is still the ball joints to worry about. Since my truck is new, it's probably just due to the overall design of the steering components. It wasn't designed to handle the bigger tires. This is just probably something that ought to be done if a person is going to install big tires.

SAK

Reaction score
By fixing, I'm assuming you mean to replace with a bigger aftermarket bar. I'm sure that would help but then there is still the ball joints to worry about. Since my truck is new, it's probably just due to the overall design of the steering components. It wasn't designed to handle the bigger tires. This is just probably something that ought to be done if a person is going to install big tires.

Getting the castor correct would be the fix. The steering components are just fine. My truck on 38's doesn't do that.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
Is it at stock height?
\

It has a two inch level on the front.

Getting the castor correct would be the fix. The steering components are just fine. My truck on 38's doesn't do that.

Had that done right after the level. They added a half to a full degree but I can't remember for sure. Would you restore to factory or go plus with the caster?

When this happens in real time it's just a little steering wheel wobble. I probably wouldn't have worried about it except for all the talk of death wobble. The slow motion really shows what's going on in a stock config (except the level).

SAK

Reaction score
\

It has a two inch level on the front.

Had that done right after the level. They added a half to a full degree but I can't remember for sure. Would you restore to factory or go plus with the caster?

When this happens in real time it's just a little steering wheel wobble. I probably wouldn't have worried about it except for all the talk of death wobble. The slow motion really shows what's going on in a stock config (except the level).

Stock castor is somewhere between 1.2-1.7 you would want to be above that so lets just say somewhere between 2.0-2.5. Mine is around 4.3 if I remember right, but I'm at 8"

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
Makes sense. I do need to run back into the alignment shop to see what the values are. They told me they added additional caster but I no longer have the values and it would be good to know what they are.

BTW - have you upgraded your front end in any way?

SAK

Reaction score
Makes sense. I do need to run back into the alignment shop to see what the values are. They told me they added additional caster but I no longer have the values and it would be good to know what they are.

BTW - have you upgraded your front end in any way?

I have a stock track bar with a proto type ball joint on the axle and a dual stabilizer kit, but I can take the stabilizers off and it will drive the same. I also have the OUO adjustable link arms.

Shipmate

Reaction score
I think the video was very good. But like SAK said the real problem is more than likely Caster, which has a ghost cousin named Casper and he is the one to make your tires wobble. LOL

Latest posts

Members online