Water Pump Install With Pics!!

Irontx

Reaction score
Just for those that haven't done this before. I figured I would take some pics along the way. Its pretty strait forward. Took about 3 hours. May take less for some, more for others. Anyway here is how I pulled it off.

I started off with an 8mm ratchet wrench. Pull the 2 bolts on top of the outer shroud.
2011-08-05155603.jpg

And
2011-08-05155612.jpg

I went ahead and loosened all the coolant hoses as well.

2011-08-05160653.jpg

Got ready to drain some coolant too. Now would be a great time to do a coolant flush. Drain from here if you don't want to wear coolant.

2011-08-05160856.jpg

Now that the coolant is drained, pull the upper radiator hose and return.
2011-08-05162116.jpg

Once that is out of the way, pull the outer shroud up and around the ports for the upper hose and return. Don't be scared to get a little rough with it. Once that is out, you should be looking at this,

2011-08-05162128.jpg

Notice all that coolant that has been blown around by the fan!!!

Next your gonna want to unbolt the inner shroud(stator). Pull everything at one time.

It has 4 bolts holding it to the block.
2011-08-05164131.jpg

Spin the fan a little to get your ratchet in there. I used a 6" extension and a 15mm deep socket. Fits perfect.
2011-08-05164107.jpg

Now for the fun part... Slide the inner shroud(stator) forward as far as you can. I used a pipe wrench and a sleever bar to hold back with. The threads are regular right hand. Once I got my wrench on and the fan binded with the bar, gave it a little LOVE with an 8lbs sledge. Lefty loosey.
2011-08-05165304.jpg

With that done, you ought to be looking at this,
2011-08-05165809.jpg

Keep your bar handy, and bust off the 4 bolts that hold the water pump pulley on. They are 10mm.
2011-08-05170448.jpg

I already loosened the belt, but if you don't know, a half in breaker bar at the idler pulley gets it off.
2011-08-05170031.jpg

Moving on along.....4 10mm bolts hold the pump on. Pull it out and check the front cover for scoring.
2011-08-05174036.jpg

Your new pump should go on with a new o-ring. I put a thin coat of oil on it and slapped it in there.

2011-08-05180246.jpg

Now for the tech end. Tighten to spec.
Water pump -17 lb-ft
Water pump pulley- 23lb-ft
Inner shroud(stator) 30lb-ft
All the rest of them....... just get em tight.

You will have fun getting the fan back on. No easy way to do it. It sucks lining it up. Go back in the same way you took everything off. REMEMBER to put your belt on the water pump pulley first. It wont slide between the harmonic balancer. You will be taking the pulley off again if you dont.
Anyway, hope this helps.

strokin6L

Reaction score
nice write up, but i wouldn't have an issue with replacing the water pump on mine. Gots lots of room haha. My belt slides between the balancer and water pump pulley no problem. Cause that wouldn't make sense if it didn't....cause by doing what you said would mean that you would hafta remove the water pump pulley to remove the belt everytime or to replace a belt, and that not so.

Attachments

• 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 93

Irontx

Reaction score
nice write up, but i wouldn't have an issue with replacing the water pump on mine. Gots lots of room haha. My belt slides between the balancer and water pump pulley no problem. Cause that wouldn't make sense if it didn't....cause by doing what you said would mean that you would hafta remove the water pump pulley to remove the belt everytime or to replace a belt, and that not so.

Thought about that after I wrote it. Too much writing. Ive had mine off plenty of times. Should have said to go ahead and lay it in there before it gets all twisted and wont go on right and you get pissed cause its ***in hot and the damn thing wont MIND!!!!:cursing:LOLLOLLOLLOL

Irontx

Reaction score
Good write up!! Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and throw a new pump on while its apart for studs.

Thanks man.
Just thought of something else. Dont know if it made a difference, I have a fluidampr. Have had my belt off plenty of times before. First time since the balancer. Dont know if its just a touch larger, but I couldnt get that belt to slide between there to save my life.

strokin6L

Reaction score
haha i have one to. I've had mine off a bunch of times with no problems with the fluidampr. I just took the belt off the other day to do some stuff and it slipped right on with no problems. It is tight, but goes right on with no problems for me.

Last edited:

nsty 6oh

Reaction score

How do you have your fans wired? Hard wired with the key on or to some kind of temp controller? I want to do electric fans to free up some space in the engine bay.

strokin6L

Reaction score
How do you have your fans wired? Hard wired with the key on or to some kind of temp controller? I want to do electric fans to free up some space in the engine bay.

There is a VSC(variable speed controller) that is mounted to the fans. There is a probe that goes into the fins of the radiator and there is a 50amp circuit breaker. The breaker gets power directly from the battery. The VSC has a ground wire that also goes to the battery and there is a wire from the VSC that goes to a 12V key on source. Depending on where you have the probe installed in the radiator, there is a dial on the VSC that you can adjust at what temp the fans kick on.

jdc753

Reaction score
Very nice write up, sadly might need to put it to use soon enough. Pulled into the hotel after work and got my stuff out of the truck and noticed some fluid coming out in front of the tire, too much for AC and AC drips behind the tire :doh: sure enough steady drip/pour coming from front of motor

Members online

No members online now.