First time drill and tap, not sure

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
I'm doing some extra mods while I have my truck apart, and one of them requires drilling and tapping for a 3/8 npt fitting. I am using a piece of scrap metal for practice as this is the first time using it. I followed the chart in the tap and die set, drill a 9/16 hole, and use the corresponding tap. However, when I go to screw in the 3/8 NPT fitting it started getting tight at half a turn. I ran the tap 2/3 of the way in so I know it's deep enough. When I backed the fitting out it looks like the tapped hole is flattening out the threads on the fitting.

1386864552692.jpg

Is this right or am I missing something?

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Ummm, ok, I just went to run the tap deeper and realized I used a 5/8-18 tap. Now, I grabbed the 9/16-18 tap and it will go right through the hole, not catching any of the threads I cut, but the 3/8 npt fitting is still grabbing the hole threads. I am thoroughly cornfused???? Why would the 3/8npt fitting be grabbing the threads cut by a 5/8 tap?

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
9/16 tap and fitting
1386869936689.jpg
5/8 tap and fitting
1386869909759.jpg

It looks like the 9/16 tap is too small for the fitting. And I ran the 5/8 tap all the way, no change.

Zmann

Reaction score
r u sure the fitting is 3/8 NPT ?

npt-thread-taper.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
You need to use a 3/8 pipe thread tap. Tap drill for it is 37/64 but 9/16 would work. Your taping with a 5/8 18 straight tap that will never work. Pipe threads are tapered. Get the correct tap.

More info .... a 3/8 npt has a nothing to do woth its od. rough outside diameter is .675

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
r u sure the fitting is 3/8 NPT ?

Yes, unless Summit sent the wrong part in the correct packaging.

You need to use a 3/8 pipe thread tap. Tap drill for it is 37/64 but 9/16 would work. Your taping with a 5/8 18 straight tap that will never work. Pipe threads are tapered. Get the correct tap.

More info .... a 3/8 npt has a nothing to do woth its od. rough outside diameter is .675

OK, after reading your post and a bit more surfing I got it. My taps are all straight.

I tried to find a 37/64 in town, but nobody stocks them so I used the 9/16 I have.

I get that the 3/8 npt has nothing to do with the od, but just looking at the tap I have and the od of the fitting led me to ask. Anyway...

Since nobody has the right tap in town, I ordered it online, and a 37/64 bit just to have it. Hey, at least I tried it on scrap first. Thanks for the help guys.
:toast:

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Glad to help sorry if I came of harsh lol

cry, cry, tears falling..... :grouphug:

Don't sweat it, no offense taken. If a guys skin is that thin, turn in your man card.

When I don't understand something, like this, I compare stuff... the fitting to the tap to the bit and it just didn't look like it all would match up. When I get the right tap tomorrow I'll do the same, and then drill and tap the scrap I have and test the fitting.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.