Haze and small amount of smoke after stopping

zabeard

Reaction score
I'm not sure if these are related or if it's common but I wanted some opinions from other 6.4 owners.

First off how many get a really bad exhaust haze while driving? Seems mostly clear/light grey.

Secondly sometimes when I come to a stop I see a small amount of smoke. Like blue /grey. It smells like unburnt fuel?

Everyone else's 6.4 smell horrible? Just strong exhaust smell?

I run Spartan 175, 210, 250, 275 all are same result. The truck runs great. Doesn't loose oil or coolant. oil doesn't smell like fuel either. Doesn't seem to have any unnormal blow by for 130k miles.

It's probably nothing but wanted to ask. Only other thing is I only get like 11-12 mpg all the time.

Last edited:

eric.davis

Reaction score
I only get a slight haze when taking off on the race tunes. But never sitting idle unless it was a humid night and the first minute I have white smoke from the condensation. Hopefully you don't have an injector hanging up on you.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
even my truck with big nozzles doesnt haze or anything too bad at an idle, after its warm it may have a slight haze but it doesnt stink or anything

Check your codes, you can get a contribution code without a check engine light

I wonder if you have a cracked nozzle or bad injector

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Mine has done this several time. you can see a slight amount of smoke come over my cab from the stack. saw another truck doing the same thing the other day. small puff at idle.

zabeard

Reaction score
I drove it 4 hours today. Same haze, runs great, no codes. So I'm not really sure. It does seem like it has a stutter from time to time running down the interstate but I don't notice anything funny on the dd and no codes

I'm guessing injectors but I don't know what to do about it.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I drove it 4 hours today. Same haze, runs great, no codes. So I'm not really sure. It does seem like it has a stutter from time to time running down the interstate but I don't notice anything funny on the dd and no codes

sounds like 1 injector is not playing nice. get it on an IDS , that shoud tell the tale.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
"its a 6.4 putting down massive amounts of fuel, of course its gonna smoke"

jngreen

Reaction score

I would get it checked out as soon as possible, I would hate to see you develop a hole in a piston or worse because of a bad injector that is giving you fair warning. Most commonrail guys don't get that luxury it seems.

I read somewhere that there is a guy off of ebay that sells good 6.4 injectors, and some of the big shops buy from him. I could be remembering incorrectly but if its true, that would be one option.

BFT

Reaction score
only on start up i get a puff/haze...CCV mod is the only thing i get as far as smoke.

like mentioned before, id get it checked out by a competent person

zabeard

Reaction score
sounds like 1 injector is not playing nice. get it on an IDS , that shoud tell the tale.

I will have to find some place to do that for me. Thanks

I would get it checked out as soon as possible, I would hate to see you develop a hole in a piston or worse because of a bad injector that is giving you fair warning. Most commonrail guys don't get that luxury it seems.

I read somewhere that there is a guy off of ebay that sells good 6.4 injectors, and some of the big shops buy from him. I could be remembering incorrectly but if its true, that would be one option.

Yea hopefully nothing damaging has happened yet.

only on start up i get a puff/haze...CCV mod is the only thing i get as far as smoke.

like mentioned before, id get it checked out by a competent person

lol, that might be harder than i think... Hopefully I can find a decent Powerstroke mechanic around.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.