Transmission learning

sledfreak

Reaction score
The problems with doing the relean process everytime is you will go through back tires quick.I think if your going to run it hard than do the relearn process or it may cause problems.

ZombieHNTR

Reaction score
I noticed going from the KEM 345, 310 and the H&S 300 the relearn gets shorter and shorter.. Just drive it and enjoy it, every time i loaded a tune i waited a week to really get on it. Worked fine for me.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead thread, but ive got a couple questions...

First off how long is a normal learning period (mileage wise). I have 25+ miles on the truck since i loaded my first custom tune... I have been driving it rather easy, nothing over 1/2 throttle and its been shifting great.

Today I went 3/4+ throttle a couple times from a 10mph roll and the transmission hated it, it hit 4k RPMs a couple times and didnt really know what gear it wanted to be in but once it found a gear it pulled like a mofo.

It also stuck in 2nd gear at a stop light after getting on it hard, went about 50ft and it shifted down into 1st and was perfectly fine.

I guess the main question is, if i drive it easy for 25 miles is that enough? Or in order to truely make it learn do i need to drive it hard a little bit?

Gearhead's newest Street file is what I am running

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Well the transmission is learning all the time. The first run or two, you just need to just drive it softly and let it go through all the gears, then slow down and let it downshift on down back to one. then- So this is the only way I can describe it. On a scale of 1-100 on shift firmness, once a tune is loaded the tranny is at default around 50. When you start driving if you drive softly, it will gradually go to 45, then over time drop to 40, then 35, and so forth. And after 100 miles, you have been driving easy, and it has gotten to 27 and is about as low as it is gonna go due to your driving, then all of a sudden you mash on it, it needs to be at 85 but it is only gonna jump to maybe 40 the first time (causes confusion in tranny), then you do it again, it will jump on up to maybe 65( this time, the shifting was better). So you see what im saying its like averaging in test grades.

That being said, if you want to drive it hard, start driving it hard from the get go.

I drive mine easy 85% of the time, but if i know it is a weekend or etc and i might play around, I will get on a back road, and i will run a decent run prolly less than half throttle, then i will turn around and maybe do a run over half throttle, and if the shifting is where i want it, ill bump on up to a 3/4 run. During this time, my tranny is learning it needs to shift firmer, and i am giving it time to learn and move up. Then Ill do my WOT run or whatever i want, but i NEVER just go from easing around to a 3/4+ run

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Well the transmission is learning all the time. The first run or two, you just need to just drive it softly and let it go through all the gears, then slow down and let it downshift on down back to one. then- So this is the only way I can describe it. On a scale of 1-100 on shift firmness, once a tune is loaded the tranny is at default around 50. When you start driving if you drive softly, it will gradually go to 45, then over time drop to 40, then 35, and so forth. And after 100 miles, you have been driving easy, and it has gotten to 27 and is about as low as it is gonna go due to your driving, then all of a sudden you mash on it, it needs to be at 85 but it is only gonna jump to maybe 40 the first time (causes confusion in tranny), then you do it again, it will jump on up to maybe 65( this time, the shifting was better). So you see what im saying its like averaging in test grades.

That being said, if you want to drive it hard, start driving it hard from the get go.

I drive mine easy 85% of the time, but if i know it is a weekend or etc and i might play around, I will get on a back road, and i will run a decent run prolly less than half throttle, then i will turn around and maybe do a run over half throttle, and if the shifting is where i want it, ill bump on up to a 3/4 run. During this time, my tranny is learning it needs to shift firmer, and i am giving it time to learn and move up. Then Ill do my WOT run or whatever i want, but i NEVER just go from easing around to a 3/4+ run

That is very good information actually!! Thanks a lot

Members online

No members online now.