What Amp?

Spoolin'

Reaction score
I have an 04 extended cab so space is limited. I refuse to use up the backseat for speakers so I decided to get a box that goes under the seat with some shallow mount subs.

http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Fo...-10-Custom-Enclosure-Sealed-Sub-Box-Black.htm

That is the box I ordered. Any thoughts on that? I also ordered two Sundown Audio SD2-10's. My question is what would be the best AMP to power these two subs? I would prefer to not spend any more than $200 on an AMP for right now. The SA's are 500rms each, and can handle a lot more. As long as they get close to 500rms I think ill be satisfied until I can afford a better AMP. Any help is greatly appreciated, I know almost nothing when it comes to car audio :confused:. If it matters I also have a Pioneer Double Din.

superstroked

Reaction score
If they can handle a true 500 RMS, your budget is unrealistic to even power one of the speakers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I agree , that's the last place to go cheap is the amp . Maybe look at used ones if your on a budget .

Spoolin'

Reaction score
http://www.emfcaraudio.com/sundown-audio-sd2-10-dual-4/

Those are the subs. I know that budget will not give me near the performance they are capable of. For right now I just need a fairly cheap amp to give me some bass while my wallet heals up from the focals and amp I bought to power them. I know the amp is probably the number one thing to not cheap out on, which is why I need a temporary amp that will last long enough and give some decent power until I can afford a higher quality amp.

Spatel23

Reaction score
underpowering a sub can actually hurt it if Im not mistaken.

Hopefully our resident audio guru (jdc753) will chime in to clarify

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Craig's list my friend, craigslist! That's the only way you will find an amp to make them move for under $200. But if you wanna try new I use
sonicelectronics.com
&
onlinecarstero.com

Both have always got me good deals.
* Huge saving on amp kits!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Spoolin'

Reaction score
Never heard of giving the sub less than the full rms doing damage, only giving it more. I have checked craigslist and sonicelectronics. I found a Hi fonics and a Power Acoustiks amp that were fairly cheap and could get the job done. I found a few old rockford fosgate amps on craigslist too. I'm not sure what would be a better option, buying a new hi fonics or power acoustik amp or buying an older model used Rockford Fosgate? Are any of those brands worth the money? Would they last me at least 6-12 months? Any other better brands for around the same price? I also have no idea what wiring to use. Someone told me that as you wire it down to lets say 1ohm, the SQ drops. I also have no idea what those sundowns can handle ohm wise. If I could wire it down to 2 ohms, that would make it easier to find an amp that could give them enough rms.

Spoolin'

Reaction score
Ok so apparently the SA SD2-10s dual 4 is a 4 ohm sub. And I can either get a 2 channel amp that has 500rms per channel or I can get a mono amp that has 1000rms and wire both of the subs into that single channel. And that the lower the ohm the better the bass and with two 4 ohm subs you should wire it down to 1ohm at the amp? Is this correct?

TERRCO

Reaction score
The problem with an underrated amp is you will get noise clipping causing compression (technically amplitude compression). When you force an amplifier to try and produce a signal that is out of its capability you produce high frequencies that damage the voice coils by overheating them. The amp struggles to produce the input signal and ends up producing the same level signal for every frequency . You end up with lots of distortion that is actually more power but is all damaging noise. It is really the trash high frequency that will do the damage. It is much easier for an amp to produce a high frequency than a low one. These high frequencies will heat up voice coils much faster than a very strong amp.

ghohouston

Reaction score
You can fry the hell out of the sub with less than rms power, if its clipped power. With subs and amps, you want to base everything off of rms ratings. If a sub handles 500 watts rms, buy an amp thats 500 or over rms watts

Spoolin'

Reaction score
And good choice on the subs man. Sundown makes excellent subs and amps. I ran a sundown 3000d and 100.4 in my truck

That's what I was told. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I had it narrowed down to either Sundowns or DAD's (Definitive Audio Designs).

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74623_Hifonics-Brutus-BRX1200.1D.html

Would that Hifonics amp work? 1200rms at 1ohm, so If I wire both of the Sundowns to that channel they will both be receiving around 500rms correct? That amp isn't exactly what I want, but I wouldn't say it's complete garbage and for now I think it would do the trick. If not please tell me before I order it....:doh:

Spoolin'

Reaction score
Decided to spend a little more money than I wanted to and get a Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D. Any comments about this particular amp?

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I would go with a used rockford amp.

Agreed. I had a Rockford tbd1000.1 that I got used and it was a beast. (Almost positive that's the module, been awhile)
When I took that amp and my W7 to an audio shop in FL last year for a possibly upgrade, their tech pushed me to keep the amp be cause they were built so well.

I do not no much about it, but If it beats them hard and as clear as possible then its worth it, and you should get a good couple years or more if taken care of.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TERRCO

Reaction score
What a coincidence. I have a bd-1000 in my personal work truck. I use it to drive two alpine type-r 15s. I break it down through an audio control octave eq cross. I think I have about worn the type Rs out. It doesn't take long with a bd-1000. If I remember right the test sheet on mine was 1750 watts rms. Rockford underrated all there stuff. You can bet if they say it will produce 500 watts rms it will.

TERRCO

Reaction score
Ok so apparently the SA SD2-10s dual 4 is a 4 ohm sub. And I can either get a 2 channel amp that has 500rms per channel or I can get a mono amp that has 1000rms and wire both of the subs into that single channel. And that the lower the ohm the better the bass and with two 4 ohm subs you should wire it down to 1ohm at the amp? Is this correct?

So if I hear you right these are dual voice coil subs. If so I would start with the highest impedance first. Then go from there. You don't need to go straight to the biggest load on the amp. With 10s you will probably be happy running each sub in series with itself at 8ohms each. That's if you have 4 ohm voice coils. Now the amp you chose is very capable of running these subs to there advertised ratings but like I said I would give the amp a small load first then if your not happy, run each subs voice coils parallel to give you a 2ohm load on each sub. Go from there.

Spoolin'

Reaction score
So if I hear you right these are dual voice coil subs. If so I would start with the highest impedance first. Then go from there. You don't need to go straight to the biggest load on the amp. With 10s you will probably be happy running each sub in series with itself at 8ohms each. That's if you have 4 ohm voice coils. Now the amp you chose is very capable of running these subs to there advertised ratings but like I said I would give the amp a small load first then if your not happy, run each subs voice coils parallel to give you a 2ohm load on each sub. Go from there.

Sounds good thanks

Members online

No members online now.