Studded trucks blowing gaskets... why?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I've been reading more and more guys saying that even with studs they're still blowing the HG's. Just curious if some of the guys having problems would mind posting up some info, like what type of studs, gaskets and tunes were being used when the HG's failed. I know for a while the Black Onyx gaskets were supposed to be the cat's ass, but now I'm seeing a lot of failures due to separation of layers. Just wanted to see if there is any pattern that could be avoided.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I think alot of failure/puking occurs after studs because the heads were not properly machined during head stud install.

SaNnDnSurF

Reaction score
Mine lasted 2 months with oem gaskets, studs, had the heads checked as well, running idp ex street. I think I have a cracked head.

STROKER

Reaction score
mine started puking coolant again turned out both heads were cracked

stonepusher

Reaction score
If your truck is studded properly and the heads are decked and magnafluxed(if you magnaflux them you will find out whether your heads are good or not)you wont have any issues with OEM gaskets being used. The whole process just has to be done RIGHT and not half assed.

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
If the heads "check out" according to fords specs.....youre screwed. First 6.0 we did years back we used BRAND new heads, in the box, from ford. lasted a couple months.

We ALWAYS surface them, and with a proper machine. Havent had one puke since. Used arp studs and a-1 studs with the same results.

DMAX

Reaction score
I know of one that was using black onx gaskets but it wasnt from the heads not being decked. We pulled the heads and found 2 small cracks in each head once they were magnufluxed :doh: in between the injector and the glow plug hole. I think the culprit was nitrous

nsty 6oh

Reaction score
I got mine studded in Feb with arps and black gaskets. Heads were decked, checked and needed valve seals/guides. Been running xrace tune ever since with no issues. Only puked once a very little bit and it was because I installed a coolant filter and refilled my degas bottle too much. Wish I would have done OEM gaskets though, just for the piece of mind.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Mine was studded back in Dec. and I almost used the Black gaskets. Everybody kept tellin' me how great they were, but since I never planned on puttin' down huge power I went with the OEM gaskets instead. I'm glad I did now that I'm hearing that the black gaskets aren't holding up so well.

Irontx

Reaction score
Mine has been studded for 60k-80k. Tuned, and run about 10 bottles of nitrous through it. Pukes when I drive the hell out of it. Passes a coolant combustion gas test every time. ***it!!!!!I add coolant and go on. Does better with a new water pump, thermostat and fan clutch.

Mdub707

Reaction score
black onyx gaskets are not the correct thickness, they're too thin even uncompressed from what I've read.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Have done dozens... Only had one fail and it had the black gaskets... Replaced with OEM and havent heard back since. Alot of people are too worried about the heads, but not the block deck. Thats the most important part IMO.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
black onyx gaskets are not the correct thickness, they're too thin even uncompressed from what I've read.
Actually they're to thick. Hence them leaking under boost. Measured the last set I took off mine. One was 16 thou, and the other was 17 thou THICKER than the stock gaskets, and that was actually going through the trouble of measuring each layer.

Irontx

Reaction score
Actually they're to thick. Hence them leaking under boost. Measured the last set I took off mine. One was 16 thou, and the other was 17 thou THICKER than the stock gaskets, and that was actually going through the trouble of measuring each layer.

Thats alot of difference.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
I about chit after talkin to Doug about it, and he told me that was the issue with them. Never thought it would be that much though.

DieselKid60

Reaction score
i have bought all my stuff for my truck to do the heads when the time comes and i got OEM gaskets the onyx ones have a bad rep and i know of a few 6.0s running 1000+ hp with arps and OEM gaskets

DieselKid60

Reaction score
i wouldnt exactly say you are screwed but there is that slim possibility the gasket might peel apart

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.