Too much fuel!?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Okay got a little problem, maybe some 7.3 guys can chime in real quick. Charles, Dave, Tarm, anyone??

Here is my setup: 250/200, hx55 (66,84,19cm), modded IDM, efuel, modded 17* hpop (able to hold 2950psi at WOT @ 30%)

Trouble im having: In my lower tunes the truck runs pretty hard, doesnt feel as powerful as this setup should, but its spools pretty good and runs hard. Main complaint i have is its still a little smokey, can haze on any sort of acceleration. If i throw it in a higher tune like a 120 or 140 and hammer on it, not only does it take forever to spool up but once its spooled 35-40lbs its still BLACKING OUT the road behind me and doesnt pull as hard as the lower tunes, almost like its drowning in fuel.
Also have a little bit of a vibration at idle and certain spots in the RPMs. Could this be related?
Could an injector issue be causing this??

Ive tried multiple tuners and most all of them have the smoke issue. Every tune vibrates, so its not tuning that is causing these problems. Its the truck.

any suggestions?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
No those were not easy roll-ons, i think generally i let it get into 3rd gear before i hammer on it but once it shifts and i see the boost climbing towards 10 i hammer on it.
I cant tell you exact numbers, are the PW a big deal regarding this? Generally i just watch ICP and DC.
I can go data log it real quick though if that will help

907DAVE

Reaction score
ICP is huge when trying to control smoke, even with easy acceleration.

What is your PW coming up to on these WOT runs?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Let me go out and check, with my TW tunes it was under 2 for sure, like 1.8 i think was max. Not sure on these new tunes from Cale. I will be back in about 30 minutes with some data logs of the higher and economy tunes.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Well ****, guess I need more practice with the AE. Somehow i recorded then, recorded over the top of it, and finally recorded over the top of both those as i was trying to get a graph of the idle.
Needless to say im back and dont have any data.

I will try to get some in the morning, what should i be seeing though?

I tried just rolling into the throttle slowly and once the TC locked up and slowly put my foot to the floor, seemed like it smoked much less and pulled harder doing that over just mashing the peddle. Is there a reason for that!?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well ****, guess I need more practice with the AE. Somehow i recorded then, recorded over the top of it, and finally recorded over the top of both those as i was trying to get a graph of the idle.
Needless to say im back and dont have any data.

I will try to get some in the morning, what should i be seeing though?

I tried just rolling into the throttle slowly and once the TC locked up and slowly put my foot to the floor, seemed like it smoked much less and pulled harder doing that over just mashing the peddle. Is there a reason for that!?

If it pulls better when you slowly roll into it, then it sounds like a tuning issue.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
If it pulls better when you slowly roll into it, then it sounds like a tuning issue.

Well luckily someone is sending me new ones and even more lucky now you know about the problem hahaha, David can be the magic fix.

The only reason i thought it was hard parts was because its done it with multiple tuners

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Does everything look good on AE as far as the MAP sensor seeing the correct pressures and the ICP sensor as well?

Are there any CELs?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Does everything look good on AE as far as the MAP sensor seeing the correct pressures and the ICP sensor as well?

Are there any CELs?
I was not looking at the MAP sensor, how is that done and what should i be seeing? Does not throw any codes
The vibration makes me wonder about injector issue. Also the dc seems low like big oil territory.

Ya thats what scares me also. These are Remans from Cass and have about 4k miles on them over the course of about 6 months. I have wondered about the injector issue also, anyway i could tell from the AE if a problem was happening with them?

01platinum

Reaction score
Does your vibration happen at higher speeds also or just low speed? I have a vibration under my feet at 5 -10 mph and at 70 - 90 mph.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Does your vibration happen at higher speeds also or just low speed? I have a vibration under my feet at 5 -10 mph and at 70 - 90 mph.

It vibrates at an idle, if i put it in gear and drive around town normally or any sort of daily driving it doesnt vibrate other than idle. But if i start to get on it hard it vibrates until the TC locks up and boost comes up, then its smooth as silk

907DAVE

Reaction score
Sounds like there is a bit of a balance issue, but this is not your entire issue.

Whats a CCT show?

BBottoms

Reaction score
Subscribing for a similar, but not identical issue with my truck.

MAP (edit: incorrect, see my next post) should correlate to your boost gauge up to around 28psi and then it will flat line (at least that's what mine does).

Last edited:

BBottoms

Reaction score
Sorry, MAP should correlate to your boost gauge plus 14.7psi to account for atmospheric pressure. There is another PID called "Manifold gauge pressure" that takes the MAP reading minus the Barometric reading and this one should correlate with your boost gauge. This one is the one that tops out at 28psi on my truck. If it doesn't correlate to your boost you may have a bad MAP or a bad Barometric sensor.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Sounds like there is a bit of a balance issue, but this is not your entire issue.

Whats a CCT show?

I will do a CCT tonight when i get home, i also believe a balance issue is at hand. This motor is a craigslist motor that i installed a little over a month ago

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.