odd problem

phale

Reaction score
We have been working on a local 2004 6.0 with the '05 style motor. The owner complains that the truck would stumble and cut out. We checked the truck and found the FICM was weak. We replaced it with a 58 volt unit from swamps. The truck would still have irradic episodes of this stumble under light load and throttle position after the ficm. We then pulled the EGR valve out and it was 95% clogged up. After cleaning and reinstalling the valve the truck would rev up in stages and blow black smoke while reving and sometimes would not rev up at all no matter throttle position. With the EGR valve unplugged it seemed to run ok. We then installed an EGR delete kit and left the valve in place and plugged in. I drove the truck for about 15 miles with no hickups and the owner came and got it. He has driven it for about 3 days and it did fine, never gave a hiccup. Then the truck started acting like the TPS was bad, would not rev up from idle. we checked the TPS with a scan tool and found it to be giving a good signal. We have also discovered that if you unplug and replug in the EGR valve the truck will rev up. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I have the valve unplugged now and the customer is going to try it, but we have done at least 75 deletes in the last two years and never had this symptom no matter if the valve was plugged in or not.

Wright337

Reaction score
My 04 was doing the same thing. When i did the egr delete i used the block off plate where the egr went and it cleared up all of my problems. Why did you leave the egr in? Mine has the later 04 which is the same as the 05 and doesnt throw a code with it out or unplugged.

phale

Reaction score
It was left in to pass visual inspection for emissions where the guy lives, but if unplugging it works then we can just stick a valve back in when he goes in for inspection.

Irontx

Reaction score
What flash is in it???? Cant say Ive ever heard of one doing this.

phale

Reaction score
No codes, but the truck does have another electrical bug the wipers come on randomly but I do not know that it is related. It is running a stock flash but not sure when it was last updated.

Latest posts

Members online