Small manual milling machine

White_monster

Reaction score
Anyone used Grizzly's small milling machines? Thinking about getting one but looking for some reviews. Not looking to spend over $900 on one either. Other brand or options welcome.

04stroker

Reaction score
Check out littlemachineshop.com. They have several smalleracjining equipment at a good price I have used there stuff and had great luck. They also se many more accessories, spare parts if it ever breaks etc.... Good phone support as well if you have any questions.

hucorey

Reaction score
You be much better off getting a used Bridgeport with a DRO and possibly even CNC capabilities for similar price of a new Chinese knockoff with no accessories. I can buy them all day for under $4000 and less.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hucorey

Reaction score
Last time I checked, $4000 > $900.

Just saying you can get so much more of a piece of equipment for the money. Stronger motor, ball screw ways, air powered quick change spindle, bigger table, variable speed instead of pulleys. You get what you pay for. A decent $900 bench top will work if you doing very small parts. Plus you can easily spend another $1000 or way more just in tooling.

Just seek out auctions, these things can go dirt cheap more than you think. Shop are still closing up all over. Just not as much as 4-5 yrs ago. You can pick up s nice Series1 Bridgeport for $1000 with a few thousand in tooling with it.

White_monster

Reaction score
Tooling is not a concern at all. It's for my personal garage to make turbo flanges and little brackets. I wish I had the cash and space for a big machine but I don't.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Just saying you can get so much more of a piece of equipment for the money. Stronger motor, ball screw ways, air powered quick change spindle, bigger table, variable speed instead of pulleys. You get what you pay for. A decent $900 bench top will work if you doing very small parts. Plus you can easily spend another $1000 or way more just in tooling.

Just seek out auctions, these things can go dirt cheap more than you think. Shop are still closing up all over. Just not as much as 4-5 yrs ago. You can pick up s nice Series1 Bridgeport for $1000 with a few thousand in tooling with it.

I'm not going to argue that you get what you pay for when it comes to mills, but for 99.9% of people working out of their garage a Bridgeport or similar just isn't worth it. Too big, too heavy, too expensive. Don't have 3-phase? There's another $600-$1000 for a phase converter.

To the O.P. where are you located? Grizzly headquarters are in my hometown. They have a parking lot sale every year that you can get demo or scratch/dent items for a fraction of the cost of new. I think my buddy paid $700 for a G1007 a couple years back.

hucorey

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of resources the op has. Most people I know that have heavy truck like us have friends with forklifts skidloaders :cool: etc to help move stuff. Or for any matter just help.

The deals are out there. Just have to be patient and look around.

White_monster

Reaction score
It's not a matter of weight for the machine. It's a matter of size. I only have a 24'x26' garage. Space is very limited. Also the garage service is only 60amps and I'm not upgrading that ever, it costs way to much.

hucorey

Reaction score
I worked in the machine shop where I'm at for 5yrs. And 5yrs in a large welding/machine job shop, so I've been around. :thumbup: I like any type of machining/fabrication equipment. I'm just partial to the old school made in USA good stuff.

Zmann

Reaction score
I'm just partial to the old school made in USA good stuff.

I think we all are ? I couldn't find a nice small usa mill but my lathe is an old craftsman same as below
lathe.jpg

Latest posts

Members online