Torque Convertor lock up switch

zilla68

Reaction score
Can someone explain in detail why you would want to do this?

What does it accomplish?

Any performance or mileage gains?

I've searched here and didn't turn up anything, and I'm sure I could go over to psn, but I'm really trying to avoid it.

thanks

DMAX

Reaction score
For a Daily driver, lower trans fluid temp and better fuel economy. For competition a locked torque converter looses almost no torque through complete coupling

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
That being said it means that every time you slow down you have to disengage it as it would be like stopping a manual trans truck with the clutch engaged. If you do something like the EBPV brake then you need that as well.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i know its the black wire with green strip under main fuse box. you can utilize it for an exhaust brake set up with a switched EBPV or ya can make your truck sound like a manual in like second gear. not really usefull for daily use i barely use mine and prematurely wears out ya TQ. and that already takes enough wear with driving so i dont see any need in speeding up that process

Tom S

Reaction score
Purple with a yellow tracer is what came to my mind.

zilla68

Reaction score
ok, so for it to help with mileage, like say on a long trip, you just get up to speed and flip the switch and cruise on like normal, then when slowing down to a stop turn it off? and that's all there is to it, other than wiring it up?

Tom S

Reaction score
Yes the torque converter will be looked in OD but will unlock more or less depending on PCM strategy. Some PCM stategies make it happen wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much.

Tom S

Reaction score
TDE1 or TDE0 based tuning is a ton better about the torque convertor lockup strategy. Jody and I have played with that quite a bit in the past.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I like having the manual switch becuase a lot of the time driving around town I never get up fast enough to get it locked automatically. I may drive several miles and not get above 30mph, so having the manual lock keeps the RPMS down which reduces noise (especially when cold), and improves fuel economy slightly.
That's pretty much the only time I use it normally. Sometimes if I'm on a trip I'll use it coming down a mountain to let the engine do most of the braking, and the service brakes do the rest with just a little tap once in a while. Having it locked manually keeps the engine locked to the wheels when I tap the brakes.

Latest posts

Members online