MAP sensor range

CurtisF

Reaction score
What is the actual physical range that a stock MAP sensor can see in terms of gauge PSI. Since I don't have test equipment to check myself, I'd like to find out from some folks who do know for sure. After all, I can only get AE to display boost up to a certain point. And it doesn't match the boost gauge beyond that.

BBottoms

Reaction score
My AE flat lines manifold pressure at 28psi, so assuming a 14.7psi Barometric reading, the MAP is maxing out at ~42-43 psi. I can check some data logs when I get home to make sure but I think this is correct.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Factory MAP sensor is done at 25PSIg and shows the full 5 volts. The computer freaks out and thinks the sensor is bad at above 4.7 volts so that's where the overboost error comes from.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Factory MAP sensor is done at 25PSIg and shows the full 5 volts. The computer freaks out and thinks the sensor is bad at above 4.7 volts so that's where the overboost error comes from.

Ok, that's what I've always thought.

Problem is, I can run up to and at 30 psi of boost, and no overboost error. Hit higher than that, and I get a code and the check engine light on.

So that's why I wanted to double check. Next step is figuring out why.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Some information from the TDS archives for the OBS:
Frequency 111hz = 14.7PSIA.
130=20
167=30
203=40
Set code 0237 at 54.7PSIA, which is roughly 256.71 hz.
Also set code 0235 at 5.7PSIA, which is roughly 78.13 hz.

I could have sworn I had the same information for the SD trucks, but I can't find it.

BBottoms

Reaction score
I just checked mine with AE. The MAP reading maxes at 43.5psi on my OBS, which equates to ~29psi of boost/gauge psi at sea level (same as the data logged "Manifold Gauge Pressure" which is boost)

I believe SuperDutys run a MAP that output a straight voltage versus a frequency like the OBS MAP sensor. Not sure if this changes the maximum reading on the SDs versus the OBSs.

Gearhead

Reaction score
yeah the OBS trucks are different that the SDs. You really need a mechanical fooler on the OBS trucks because sometimes the sensors will freak out and go to zero boost if you bring the boost up too fast.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.