AFE Stage 2 XP or AFE Big Boost?

9mmkungfu

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New here and I noticed in the "How-to" threads that the recommendations from Diesel Innovations for all of their different hp levels start with the AFE Stage 2 intake.

However, the AFE Big Boost seems to flow more air (about 300 CFM more), and is clearly much less.

What's the better intake system? What's the best one available now, if neither of these are it?

Thanks guys.

9mmkungfu

Reaction score
i think the best is s&b intake setups, but if you have the done the DIY intake then the big boost is better

Thanks for the reply. Who's got the best pricing on those intakes? Do they have different ones (Stage I, II, etc)?

steele86

Reaction score
just go to any diesel performance place on the web. i'm not sure that i can tell you the names or put pic on here cuz of the sponsor that we have on here

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have some of the best prices on those intakes as well as the Big Boost from AFE which I run on my truck. I'll PM you.

JDub

Reaction score
i think the best is s&b intake setups, but if you have the done the DIY intake then the big boost is better

Intake temperatures show a different story... The open bottom of the S&B box sucks A LOT of hot air off the engine and exhaust manifold...not a good thing.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Intake temperatures show a different story... The open bottom of the S&B box sucks A LOT of hot air off the engine and exhaust manifold...not a good thing.

Do what? There isn't an open spot on the bottom...

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Actually if you want the best flowing and filtering intake get a Tymar..have a big boost here that dusted a turbo that I'd bet the customer would sell ya..

steele86

Reaction score
the paper filters like tymar and the nape...ect are **** i had one and that piece of **** dusted compresser wheel and brand new housing and who know what else. go with the afe 5r or 7 pro

jwlandry

Reaction score
There is 100s of people running the paper filters and haven't had a problem. Sounds like you didnt have a clamp tight enough to make the seal.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My tire went flat and my oil was dirty 3 weeks after I installed my AFE Big Boost... I was pissed.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score

What story is that? At IDLE in 100*+ ambient temps my underhood temps are about 30* warmer, but on the highway they are within a few degrees of ambient. Any idea what the post CAC temps are? Would even 30* higher on the intake make a difference in performance??

You could always get a TAG to make up for the lost performance!! :thumbup:

I have a factory-stock turbo w/over 300k miles that I put 200k miles on with a 6637 filter - it has no evidence of 'dusting' and I never had a UOA that indicated poor filtration. This type of filter may have some drawbacks - but IMO lack of filtration and hot air are not among them.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
I've been running the AFE Stage II for 7 plus years now. Every time I clean it I take my hand and stick it up the intake pipe and it come out bone dry and clean as a whistle. Sure there are many to choose from but if you are specifically looking at a stage II, I have nothing but good to say about mine.

Latest posts

Members online