Layman's terms for class A license

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Basically the over complicated writing on what is a "class A vehicle is" does anyone know. First of all is a F-350 SRW ccsb 4x4 auto used for landscaping and snow removal for monetary compensation. Fuel tank in the bed for diesel haz mat endorsement required placards med card needed blah blah. Trying to find info on this in Maine is like trying to get a straight answer from a politician.

Atsah

Reaction score
Commercial registered vehicle for the correct trailer/truck weight is all you would need as far as I know..

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Here is what it says in the Florida DMV Website about commercial driver's license requirements. You certainly do not meet what constitutes a Class A vehicle. All Class A vehicles include a trailer. There are no Class A vehicles without a trailer.

Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
CLASS A: Any Tractor/Trailer combination that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 LBS.

CLASS B: Any single motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle of 10,000 LBS. or less.

CLASS C: Any motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of less than 26,001 LBS. when endorsements "H" or "P" would be required on the driver license OR any combination of motor vehicles where the towing vehicle is less than 26,001 LBS. GVWR and the towed vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 LBS. or less, but together they weigh 26,001 LBS. or more.

loboost

Reaction score
All you should need is enough tag on the truck to cover the weight of the truck and trailer...then basic trailer tags on the trailer

sent while driving recklessly

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Basically even the combined weight would be less than 26,000 so I could be exempt or would it vary state to state. In theory the provision is only effective for trucks like F-650/750 etc or is it based on the trailer.

Atsah

Reaction score
You will need a Commercial reg for your truck for over 10K and a trailer reg for over 2K and your done..

As far as the trailer goes there are two to choose from, you would need the second one for your application..

Less than 2,000 Gross Vehicle Weight - $12.50 for 1 year or $24.00 for 2 years
More than 2,000 Gross Vehicle Weight - $22.00 for 1 year or $43.00 for 2 years

The plates look the same but the reg shows the heavier weight.. It's important to have all your ducks in a row because state police here in Maine look for Commercial plates at toll plaza's..

When I was hauling equipment up and down the pike I would get pulled over twice a month to get checked out..

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
The good Ole Maine State Police out of curiosity have you been bagged by the mustang guy yet around the Portland area. He will bag anyone for anything stupid I just keep a dot book in the glove box for him personally.:pullover:

Atsah

Reaction score
I have not but I have seen him many times on my way to MA.. The 10 miles on 95 in NH is the worst, those guys are brutal down there..

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I do not go down that way all to often but when I do plan roll coal is in effect at all times. Gotta love those old first gen 12v cummins manual trans.

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
Basically the over complicated writing on what is a "class A vehicle is" does anyone know. First of all is a F-350 SRW ccsb 4x4 auto used for landscaping and snow removal for monetary compensation. Fuel tank in the bed for diesel haz mat endorsement required placards med card needed blah blah. Trying to find info on this in Maine is like trying to get a straight answer from a politician.

How big is the trailer you are pulling with the truck? Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg). If you are pulling a trailer with a gvwr greater than 10k lbs, you need a class A cdl. If the combination of the truck and trailer is greater than 26,001 gvwr, you need a class A cdl. How big is the diesel tank in the bed of the truck? MN 119 gallons and under is safe from placarding. My google search told me NY is 110 gallons or less. I couldn't find a specific number for Maine. If you are operating a commercial vehicle (in MN this is a truck rated at 10,000 lbs or more) you will need a medical card. You are then also required to do a DVIR (daily vehicle inspection report), also need to have on file in the office your hours of service. If outside 150 air miles, you will also need to run a log book.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
@Dieselgeek I am personally trying to find a straight forward answer but it seems that in all regards to vehicle classifications it is not so straight forward. In all honesty Maine is not very friendly on sharing information I tried contacting the state police got a very convoluted overly regulation based answer that did not answer what I was requesting. For a super duty or any one ton or less than a F-550 type vehicle that is not necessarily designed for designation of commercial vehicle qualities I would personally and gracefully with all my heart with full potential perform a daily vehicle inspection as prescribed as the DOT. I would fully take the log book seriously by including my porcelain throne time allotment adjusting for regular stops for coffee and food. When were these regulations written 1966 or just very outdated for the current vehicle technology.

After losing 50 bucks 5 hours and year in voc I will never take the DOT seriously again in any regards just trying to get my class b then my class a.

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
@Dieselgeek I am personally trying to find a straight forward answer but it seems that in all regards to vehicle classifications it is not so straight forward. In all honesty Maine is not very friendly on sharing information I tried contacting the state police got a very convoluted overly regulation based answer that did not answer what I was requesting. For a super duty or any one ton or less than a F-550 type vehicle that is not necessarily designed for designation of commercial vehicle qualities I would personally and gracefully with all my heart with full potential perform a daily vehicle inspection as prescribed as the DOT. I would fully take the log book seriously by including my porcelain throne time allotment adjusting for regular stops for coffee and food. When were these regulations written 1966 or just very outdated for the current vehicle technology.

After losing 50 bucks 5 hours and year in voc I will never take the DOT seriously again in any regards just trying to get my class b then my class a.

I find it difficult at times to get a handle on all the rules and regulations, but you and I as a driver are required to do so… My license is my career, so I take it seriously. I also happen to have 8700 gallons of gasoline behind me 5 days a week, so it is in my best interest, and the publics to be as safe and professional as I can be. If you can't find the answers you need, call your states DOT… MN has a decent website for Commercial truck/cdl questions/faq's.

Lastly, don't waste your time getting a class B… Just get your class A, it will be less headache in the end.

This is for MN, but might help you understand a few of the rules/regulations…

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/msp/commercial-vehicles/pages/faqs.aspx

Also, take time on this website… http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov

Yes it takes time and money to insure you are legal for the vehicle you are driving. Can state inspectors be Aholes, absolutely… But the amount of poorly maintained trucks/trailers I see daily is the reason they are needed. Will they catch them all, NOPE, but they can help. I'm not for more regulation, but sadly the transportation industry IMO has brought a lot of it on themselves.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
The local tester/regulation personal used to be the nicest lady ever was moved up north now the biggest blank __________________________ is in charge is not forth coming with public relations. Personally he failed me 3 times because the truck I used for my testing was old worn owned by a vocational center most people failed some much they gave up. His ethics towards the job are questionable I personally care when it comes to safety but when I am trying to play cards right on starting a business it makes it very difficult. I am trying to start a landscaping business the truck would be a personal/business use truck. The problem I foresee is the trailer I would rather have a 14k GVWR and tow 10k with it versus use a 10K GVWR and load 10k directly on it. I would rather have a over rated trailer for the load based on the road and geographical conditions in my area.

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
The local tester/regulation personal used to be the nicest lady ever was moved up north now the biggest blank __________________________ is in charge is not forth coming with public relations. Personally he failed me 3 times because the truck I used for my testing was old worn owned by a vocational center most people failed some much they gave up. His ethics towards the job are questionable I personally care when it comes to safety but when I am trying to play cards right on starting a business it makes it very difficult. I am trying to start a landscaping business the truck would be a personal/business use truck. The problem I foresee is the trailer I would rather have a 14k GVWR and tow 10k with it versus use a 10K GVWR and load 10k directly on it. I would rather have a over rated trailer for the load based on the road and geographical conditions in my area.

Sounds like the typical dealings with the DOT/government agencies. They rarely make it easy to find the information a person needs, yet will fine you in a heartbeat for doing it wrong. Spend time researching various websites on the internet if you can. The FMSCA website I find to be fairly straight forward, but won't help you with your states laws. I'm glad to see you are trying to get your ducks in a row, as too many try to fly under the radar, and it bites them in the behind later on. I wouldn't bother with a 10k lb gvwr trailer… After you subtract their tare weight, they can't legally haul much IMO. A 14k gvwr trailer is even light IMO, but a guy has to start somewhere! If you have more questions, please ask.

Atsah

Reaction score
First of all is a F-350 SRW ccsb 4x4 auto used for landscaping and snow removal for monetary compensation. Fuel tank in the bed for diesel

This was what people gave information on.. Nowhere near the need for a CDL.. A pickup, fuel tank, snowplow and landscape trailer does not require a class A licence in the state of Maine..

I pulled trailers up and down the east coast for years loaded 24K and was pulled over many times and never had an issue because I had the correct commercial registrations..

Are we talking about something over 13 ton now?

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
This was what people gave information on.. Nowhere near the need for a CDL.. A pickup, fuel tank, snowplow and landscape trailer does not require a class A licence in the state of Maine..

I pulled trailers up and down the east coast for years loaded 24K and was pulled over many times and never had an issue because I had the correct commercial registrations..

Are we talking about something over 13 ton now?

Absolutely not I was more concerned on the fact magnet advertising on the side with diesel transfer flow in the back most likely under 100 gal. I was more so afraid of the DOT being dbags for lack of supplying sufficient information and getting a chit load of fines. For Maine plates it is commercial 6 months with 6 month inspection terms something like that that are ridiculously expensive will I get scolded for missing dpf or egr components that were stolen in the city.

Atsah

Reaction score
Do you have or are you planning on having a million dollar insurance policy?

Magnet advertising on the vehicle can be more trouble than it's worth if you don't have the right insurance.. I use to plow 30 driveways and a couple of parking lots and I had to have the right insurance to do so or someone could take my house if something bad happened..

On edit: the insurance doesn't cost that much money by the way..

Last edited:

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I was planning on using insurance and a private bonding agency at first to cover some little bumps if they occur I am in the planning phase right now I just want every t crossed and i dotted. Maine is not to strict unless I plan on using the highways versus back roads all the time I may just but a website on tailgate and the name on the door or window may be a alternative. Overall it seems they nickel and dime you at every stage now from a select few being irresponsible in the past ruining for everyone else.

Latest posts

Members online