What tow straps are you using

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
For those guys who do hauling on the side, what kind of straps do you all prefer?

Do you just use any 10k rated strap? Or have you found a brand that you prefer when it comes to ratchet straps?

Looking to get some decent straps to keep for a new trailer.

Not really looking to buy any chain binders yet, and I did some searching and didn't find any threads on this specifically so I figured I would ask.

kramarj

Reaction score
I don't haul a lot of things, but we have had good luck with the straps we get at our local Farm n Fleet. I don't know the name off hand, you can get them for like $10 when they are on sale. We mainly use them for hauling scrap and they hold up extremely well being that they are holding down object with sharpish edges and what not. I know it isn't a car or truck we are hauling, but they seem to be pretty stong, they don't rip.

Here is what we use- http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/038789-usa-pro-grip-ratchet-tie-down.html

rray37375

Reaction score
I got some Reese branded tow straps at Lowe's. They've pulled a few other vehicles out of the ditch, as well as a few small tree stumps out of the front yard. Nothing fancy.

DarkSide2.6

Reaction score
I use poly performance straps Jeremy. They are about $40 a piece but they have the hook and chain ends which I like. They come in red and yellow.

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I know they arent cheap but I plan on keeping them for a good while so it is worth it.

Chris, I will look into those.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I've used and have many different brands of the 2 and 3" straps, for the most part they all seem to be the same. The only differences I have come across are the quality of the ratchets. Aside from the ratchet's the only problems I have had are straps wearing through on sharp edges, which is obviously my own fault.
That said I think you would be happy picking some up from your local farm supply, $20-$40 a piece seems to be the going rate. Another thing I would suggest, if you have stake pockets on your trailer, is picking up some straps with the flat ends in addition to the normal hook ended straps.

sootie

Reaction score
i use whatever is the most convenient and cheapest $10-30 range for 2". we have salty conditions up here so the ratchets only last so long anyway.

it seems that just as soon as i get good straps, i cut them on the very next load.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have some ratchet straps with a thinkg on them that is called a strap pack to be able and hold the extra on the straps that is really nice. I get them at a local truck stop. I don't know what brand they are, but they are 2" straps with the flat plate for hooking into the rub rails on the trailer

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
I like Erickson straps they have a clip that holds your excess. Sounds like some of you guys nee v-boards to save your straps

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Sounds like some of you need to learn how to tie up your excess strap ends.

ke9oyb_zps4205fa7b.jpg

2i21svp_zps8c13a775.jpg

2eyx9fn_zpse1689eed.jpg

3149gsl_zps23eb8e73.jpg

2qjzj9f_zpsa8b8f08f.jpg

2prcp40_zpseec61db0.jpg

jkjg4n_zps3a6be538.jpg

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I like that^

Usually I just roll it up flat(flatten out the circle you have) and have it about 1.5ft long and put it thru the handle on the ratchet and one end around and thru the loop on the other side and pull tight.

you can sort of see it here...

u4ujy9yp.jpg

vududu3y.jpg

I usually have (2-3)2"(I think) on hand on all our trailers on in my truck for my flatbed. And have 4 chains and binders for the heavy stuff. Those little red ones I had to borrow because I had left my big ones at work that day tied up holding something. I hate those tiny ***ers. I need to get some new ones though, these are old hand me downs from my dads job(crane operator) that they couldn't use anymore due to little nicks they had here and there. Work fine for me tho, i all never use them like they do lol

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
2ynjga8.jpg

If your hauling cars on a flat bed and do not want to use chains this is what we use. Normally the straps do not have that little twist at the bottom but we were in a rush and you get the idea by far the best thing out there imo for moving trucks. Just make sure they are looped back and tight end correctly because they will loosen up and slip off, when I hired some new guys we did lose a few lol.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
For what I am doing, mostly hauling custom and high end cars and truck, I just use the Tractor Supply Co brand 3 k ratchets. And, after being on a mountain climbing team for a few years in SF, I learned quite a bit about nylon and other materials that hold a lot of weight... They only have a service life of 4 years for material rated to 1,000 pounds, and 3 years for materials rated for 2,000, 2 years for materials rated at 3,000..... (this is going from memory, and all times are approximate)

Now, granted, the military takes the extreme cases when it comes to safety standards, etc, so, maybe they are "really" ok for a year or so longer than that.... However, if you are using a rope or harness that is out of service date, and something bad happens, you will be a "Line of duty:NO" in the case of negligence.... And could be left paying your own med bills, life insurance, etc...

With that in mine, I get new heavy straps every 18-24 months, new medium straps every 24 months... I have used the MACS stuff, and I really like their products. Their metal parts are top notch, and I have never seen or heard of their ratchets getting locked up, or their product failing. But if I am going to replace the whole system every 18-24 months anyhow, I would rather have $20 bucks tied up in it, vs $40.... 12 heavy straps in my rig, and 30 mediums.... that adds up, at double the cost...

Now, the argument could be reversed, for sure... As in "how much is the object that you are hauling worth, that you would go cheap on the straps?" And I hear you. I really do. But I have never seen my TSC straps fail, and as an up and coming, newly started business owner, I have to count beans... And until one of the TSC straps lets me down, and tests my $300,000 worth of cargo insurance, then I will keep using them... Also, keep in mind, I am hauling in an enclosed rig, so sun damage, and the elements are not a consideration for me.

I would def endorse the MACS products, but any quality made strap and ratchet that meets your weight requirement should suffice. As long as it is maintained...

Latest posts

Members online