Cold start engine stratagy?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Any of you guys tweak a engine tune to help warm the engine up faster? What I mean is do you increase Rpms, close turbo vanes, or turn the cooling fan on (I know it sound silly) to put a load on the engine to help it get warmer faster while in park?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I played with a tune for the cold weather. I adjusted the idle speed based on coolant temp, closed the vanes more, and upped the desired ebp to help it warm up faster.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Any difference? I usually warm my truck up fr 15 mins while waiting at the punch out clock and it goes from around 40*f when I start it up to about 135-140 when I get back in. I had a piece of cardboard behind the IC but infron the the radiator and with or without it doesn't seem to make a difference

Dzchey21

Reaction score
thats actually not a bad warm up temp to be honest.

I have messed with mine a little, high back pressure and closed vanes seams to help, as well as raising rail pressure at idle just a bit. Problem mostly is not making very much combustion heat, or EGTs being low. Needs a flapper like a 7.3 LOL

Stroked777

Reaction score
My egts when it's about 10-20*f out get to about 300 when it's in high idle and about an ebp reading of 7-8psi and my boost will sometimes his 1-2psi

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
You can raise your idle more. Have it ramp up slowly to 1500 or so. Mine warms up pretty quick.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Any difference? I usually warm my truck up fr 15 mins while waiting at the punch out clock and it goes from around 40*f when I start it up to about 135-140 when I get back in. I had a piece of cardboard behind the IC but infron the the radiator and with or without it doesn't seem to make a difference

Sorry I missed this post:doh:. Anyhow it helped out some, nothing crazy but they will only warm up so much without load. It will get to 150 or so when its around 10* out.