FNG's slow, Steady, and hopefully done right the first time 6.4 build.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Warning... Be prepared for new guy questions. Warning....

Hey guys and gals.
Have been around for a couple months or so and have been on here every day reading and trying to use the search button.... (It sucks)
I have seen some really nice rigs that's given me the itch even more....
After messing around with a turbo eclipse and a We'll equipped TJ I am here as a first time real truck owner.
This will be my DD and I have learned several things from my GST and Jeep. They are - this is not a cheap hobby, things break no matter what you do, and do it right the first time and save $$$$$$$$ with that being said.

Picked this up several weeks ago and just got her on the road Friday.
( description is copied from sellers ad )

2008 Ford F-250 King Ranch Package

International built 6.4L Twin turbo powerstroke Diesel

Never been smoked in.

Suspension-
ysasasag.jpg

4" Revtek Lift Kit- Rides better then new

35x12.50 Tires with Chrome 18" Rockstar Wheels

High Quality Precision Metal Fab Full Floating Traction Bars

Engine, Performance-

EGR, and Cooler delete from Rudy's Diesel

5" MBRP Exhaust with DPF Delete

ARP Headstuds and upgraded OEM headgaskets

AFE Intake and Filter

Black Maxx Tuner by H&S Performance

Appearance-

Billet Grill inserts

Billet Side Vent Inserts

Recon LED mirror lights

Recon LED Overhead running lights

Recon LED Bed/Cab light

Amp Research retracting Sidesteps

Extras-

Line-X bed liner

60gn RDS combination Toolbox fuel tank. ( was in included )

Tailgate shock prevents tailgate from dropping open ( nor was this )

B&W Hide-a-ball Gooseneck Hitch.

It's me again, bahahaha
Anyway

I really like the power it has and I only run it on mild. To be honest I'm a bit*ch and do not wanna break anything just yet. Lol

I'm looking for best reliability I can get while still producing good power.
If I upgrade something I want to to be right for the moment and for any future mods. Worst thing is buying a part to only switch it out later with a better one.
This week I will be changing fuel filters and oil, going to run all oem filters and 15w40 syn amsoil

On to the reason I decided to create this thread.
I was about to post this in another section but figured I have so many questions that will keep coming I feel this will keep it all together.

So.
everything is a go for fixing my left rear quarter from when I got back into.
I'm thinking that since the truck will be getting sprayed on the left rear and entire bumper I would just switch the color and spray all the tan black or another color.

I spoke with my guy and he said he could do it, but would be a little concerned about chipping on the fender shell area. (Pointing to in picture)
I was all ready thinking of a nice sleek fender flare. Just not sure which yet,
Also looking to do black carpet and interior pieces. Long road ahead.

So here's where I need the help,
First Color! I think black but besides my body guy everyone else I ask says ugh IDK
Second, would fender flares fix the chipping issue in question
Third how much you think that should run, ( without flares ) ball park it cause I have no clue.

Anyone good with photo shop?

P.s.
Don't haze me too bad,
Rims will be powder coated black and used as winter set
And then set of 22's for summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HD F250

Reaction score
I am not sure black would look good IMO, but I understand wanting to get rid of tan. I have always thought a solid color KR would be sweet and then u can do whatever u want to interior. Fixing your rear depending on dent and PTM the rest could get pricey because of clear coating over new paint. Good luck!

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I am not sure black would look good IMO, but I understand wanting to get rid of tan. I have always thought a solid color KR would be sweet and then u can do whatever u want to interior. Fixing your rear depending on dent and PTM the rest could get pricey because of clear coating over new paint. Good luck!

The dents not bad, I can barely catch it in a picture. $1800 tho. Thanks mr lizard...

That's what I hear from most. I just wonder what color would work good. I have a bad habit of painting everything black lol, but that's with cheap beaters lol not with this.
I am open to any color. Do you know of any other copper and different color bottom?
I'm downloading photo shop to mess with the pictures, here soon.
or **** maybe I should just leave it.
Cause I really like this guys look.
y4ygu4e9.jpg

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Ok tax's are submitted,
now its time to decide on tires brakes and front end bushings so I am ready when tax money arrives.

After 30+ pages of reading threads my eyes are burning and I am leaning 99% towards the Toyo Open Country MT's. 35x1250x18 Would love to fit larger but I do not know if they would rub, What do you think?
What do I need to measure or check to see if I can fit 37's. Truck as 4" rev-tek

Brakes:
PMF brake lines.
brake performance dimpled and slotted rotors with hawk pads..
( unless you think there is a better rotor option around the same price, cryo is nice but to much for me right now.)

Front end:
Looks like the grease-able XRF's are the way to go without going to the big money.
Dealer said upper and lowers are needed, should I do tie rod ends at same time.
( not sure on price yet WHO IS A DEALER? if not crazy seems like a good idea )

Would also like to get a dual stabilizer setup pending budget.
Does Fox offer a kit? being honest I just like the name and I grew up with them during my ATV/DB years.
If Fox does not offer them or you suggest a different brand please advise..

Anything else I am missing please feel free make suggestions...
P.S. If more info is needed for any of the questions just let me know what I need to find
out and I will do my best to get the info.

Thanks for the help.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I would check out trevors dual stabilizer kit, looks very sharp. With a set of bilsteins your should be happy.

as far as the color, the copper is tough, id say leave the tan, or eliminate it and make it all copper. Other then that, I think black will be a mistake. but that is my opinion.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd do it like Brian's. If I had the money to build a 6.4, it'd be just like his, except a ccsb, and I'd lose the rake(he had a level up front and 5" out back I believe. I'd do a carli) I hate flares on 99.99% of trucks I see, but he pulled them off. A little info on the aesthetics, everything is painted that copper or pueblo gold(like the plastic in the grill). If I ever end up w/ a 6.4, that'll be the goal. It's also unique w/ the cabelas style 2 tone.

And just in case Brian sees this, wash yo trucks foo!

What size lift you looking for? From what I've read, carli, icon, and PMF seem to be the top choices.

I love the idea of a black KR interior too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I would check out trevors dual stabilizer kit, looks very sharp. With a set of bilsteins your should be happy.

as far as the color, the copper is tough, id say leave the tan, or eliminate it and make it all copper. Other then that, I think black will be a mistake. but that is my opinion.

I agree with you. It's going to stay tan. I colored the tan with black using that paint program on the computer. Did not look good one bit. Haha

Are you guys open on Saturday? Would like to come down and talk a little suspension ideas.
Trevor = PMF correct?

Honestly, I'd do it like Brian's. If I had the money to build a 6.4, it'd be just like his, except a ccsb, and I'd lose the rake(he had a level up front and 5" out back I believe. I'd do a carli) I hate flares on 99.99% of trucks I see, but he pulled them off. A little info on the aesthetics, everything is painted that copper or pueblo gold(like the plastic in the grill). If I ever end up w/ a 6.4, that'll be the goal. It's also unique w/ the cabelas style 2 tone.

And just in case Brian sees this, wash yo trucks foo!

What size lift you looking for? From what I've read, carli, icon, and PMF seem to be the top choices.

I love the idea of a black KR interior too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

right on he's an army member. ( Brian, you sir have a dam nice rig )

I am not sure on lift size, I would like to properly clear 37"s no rub at lock or flex.
Would I need to switch lifts completely or add to this one?
Just ordered 35's but next setup will be with AF 22" chrome with 37's so I have some time to decide. Hope to see some of the members trucks by then to get other ideas on lift setup.

The black interior is a while down the road but on the list for sure.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Getting some work done next week and need brake and power steering fluid. I am going to order both from amsoil. I see they have a capacity chart but does not include these fluids. Anyone have an idea how much I should order of each that will allow a proper flush and fill?

Thanks.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Well could not find a good anwser so I went with a gallon of SYN ATF for P/S and 12x12oz bottles of SYN B/F hope that will be enough.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Made my own carrier bearing drop. Used 4 pieces of flat stock.
6ajabe6a.jpg
uhuvu6yr.jpg
zaqu8abu.jpg
2a8urahy.jpg
ahusapyt.jpg

Just need to get the correct size bolts tomorrow, had to use washers to space it.
Made a huge difference in the ride, all most eliminated the vibration on take off.
Just a faint amount now, gos to shop tomorrow to fix what the last shop did not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.