wiring/GEM question

BigRed97

Reaction score
so Im converting an 01 CCLB v10 to a PSD, using my e99 ECSB as the donor...both trucks are XLT models with identical options

got a few questions on the GEM and body wiring.

the CC has an extra 4 wire plug between the body harness and the dash harnes for the rear doors(I believe) that my e99 dash harness does not have.

it looks like the wires go right to the GEM.
the gem from the v10 truck is a revision "B", I cant remember what my e99 one is, I will check

so now for my questions..

1) is there anything about the GEM that makes it engine specific?(does it care if in a PSD or v10 truck)

2) If yes to the first question, can I remove the plug and wires from the V10 dash harness, can I overlay it into my e99 harness and repin them into the e99 GEM connectors with the e99 GEM?

3) If no to the first question, can I use the v10 GEM with the PSD fuse block(I know the fuse blocks are different), and then overlay the 4 wire harness?

thanks!

BigRed97

Reaction score
ok went a little further

the GEM in my e99 is a F81B-14B205-BH with a giant "B" on it
IMG_20110811_145852.jpg

Also with a giant "B" on it, The GEM out of the V10 CC is a 1C3T-14B205-BB, this supercedes to a 1Z3T-14B205-BA.

IMG_20110811_095251.jpg

thoughts....?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
never fiddled around with anything like that.. that I didn't have to custom wire... but I'd almost thing going with the V10's GEM and body wiring harness would get you closer.. the GEM controls no powertrain function other than 4WD, IIRC...

BigRed97

Reaction score
never fiddled around with anything like that.. that I didn't have to custom wire... but I'd almost thing going with the V10's GEM and body wiring harness would get you closer.. the GEM controls no powertrain function other than 4WD, IIRC...

i'll be using the v10 body harness as its a 4 dr

but i know i cant use the dash harness because the gas and diesel clusters are different

as far as the 4wd, im all manual so that may be a good thing

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have done a lot of these type of swaps. The things that have saved me the most headaches is using ALL wiring from the truck motor config that I am trying to get to run. I cant think of anything else the gem would run on the V10 over the PSD, BUT I would not be surprised if you do run into issues. If the GEM works with the cluster at all that is where you will run into probles. Hope it helps.

BigRed97

Reaction score
I have done a lot of these type of swaps. The things that have saved me the most headaches is using ALL wiring from the truck motor config that I am trying to get to run. I cant think of anything else the gem would run on the V10 over the PSD, BUT I would not be surprised if you do run into issues. If the GEM works with the cluster at all that is where you will run into probles. Hope it helps.

i'll use my e99 GEM because of the cluster...any idea if I pin in the 4 wires for the rear windows into the correct spots will the rear windows operate?...if not I guess i can always just hard wire them

BigRed97

Reaction score
ok so i did some exploratory surgery on the V10 dash harness.... the 4 wire that I ASSumed went to the rear windows are autally for the rear seat belt pre-tensioners.

So i became a little less lazy and compared the wiring diagrams and all the rear window power and ground simply come through the master switch. the GEM is ONLY responsible for the one touch down feature....

in short I can use my e99 GEM with out issue and plug my e99 dash harness right into the body harness of the 01 and everything will work(except the rear pretensioners, wich i dont care about)

Latest posts

Members online