black setteling barrel

glamis

Reaction score
i just picked up this virgin plastic barrel with a lid (free)
and iv'e blended and am setteling my first batch in it.
it's black and sitting in the sun,will the heat generated in the barrel
create current ??
will the oil move around and upset the setteling process ???

david

evo45

Reaction score
If you have it sitting in the direct sun it might. The oil on that side will heat and slowly circulate around, I think. If you add 10% rug to it and let it sit inside most of the free floating stuff will settle to the bottom by itself. After letting the oil settle for a few days you should be able to filter from the top and not clog your filters fast. Everything is an expiriment so take your time, you are going to clog your filters on your truck off the first batch anyway. My external filters lasted about 2 tanks before I killed them and had to buy new.

glamis

Reaction score
If you have it sitting in the direct sun it might. The oil on that side will heat and slowly circulate around, I think. If you add 10% rug to it and let it sit inside most of the free floating stuff will settle to the bottom by itself. After letting the oil settle for a few days you should be able to filter from the top and not clog your filters fast. Everything is an expiriment so take your time, you are going to clog your filters on your truck off the first batch anyway. My external filters lasted about 2 tanks before I killed them and had to buy new.

yea yea im wayyyy past that.
i have been doing this for 3 months,the oil had 10-12 percent rug.
it's just the first time i have setteled in the sun,with a black barrel..

rsr911

Reaction score
Careful, I had a partial tote on my truck from a pickup with 10% RUG in it and it nearly blew the lid off from the pressure buildup from sitting in the sun.

glamis

Reaction score
Careful, I had a partial tote on my truck from a pickup with 10% RUG in it and it nearly blew the lid off from the pressure buildup from sitting in the sun.

the top is on,but not clamped
if it builds too much pressure it will just pop the top

ps where you been bro,i missed you

rsr911

Reaction score
Only time will tell. She's much younger than me and there's kids in the mix. Don't want to go to far OT here but I am hopeful it works out for the best. My fault really, I was working too much plus trying to do the conversion on my truck.

Anyway back to your question. As I recall, John Galt whom I first heard the concept of upflow settling from on the infopop biodiesel forum always recommended keeping at least the upflow barrel out of the sun due to currents inside from the warming.

glamis

Reaction score
Only time will tell. She's much younger than me and there's kids in the mix. Don't want to go to far OT here but I am hopeful it works out for the best. My fault really, I was working too much plus trying to do the conversion on my truck.

Anyway back to your question. As I recall, John Galt whom I first heard the concept of upflow settling from on the infopop biodiesel forum always recommended keeping at least the upflow barrel out of the sun due to currents inside from the warming.

been married 18 years
and im also a very observant student of human nature,also i have been privey to many a twist tween the married folk
might have something of intrest to you.

pm or call if you want

ToyTonka

Reaction score
I did miss you here rsr911. You've given many of us great advice, and you are a champ!

I really hope things work out. At least you've identified what the problem is with the marriage. Now time to work on it. My advice is to filter the fuel that you feed to the marriage motor very well. Be careful what you say. Else you'll clog filters, and you'll be going nowhere. Then, advance the timing about four degrees on the marriage motor, and watch your EGTs! That way you'll get a better burn! All the best! :thumbup: