Chip Question

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I am considering getting a chip and have a few questions about it.

I purchased a chip before and it was a TW 6 position chip. I had recurring issues with it setting a CEL and not starting maybe 20% of the time. If I turned the key back to off and tried again it would fire right up with no CEL. At the time I tried and tried to get ahold of Tony and finally gave up and sold the chip to a kid cheap. I haven't tried to run a chip since.

Is this a common problem? I removed the PCM and cleaned the contacts very well and had it taped in there. I removed it several times trying to diagnose it and never got anywhere. The chip has been missing for two years now and the problem has not repeated once since I removed it, although Tony insisted that my problem was something with the truck.

So is this something I have to worry about? I am considering putting a custom program on the PCM so I don't have this concern anymore. I have no interest in switching programs, so that's not a problem.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i had the same problem with Tony's, so i got ahold of Matt @ Gearhead Automotive and talked to him and asked about everything i wanted, what trouble i was having.etc. really happy with his tunes and alot less smoke. really driver friendly but still has all the power and maybe more.

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
I wouldn't blame Tony or his tunes for that matter. I had the same exact problem when I sent my TS chip to Beans for custom tunes. All it was was a connection problem on my part. IIRC Tony has been going through a lot with his little girl so that may have been why it was hard to get ahold of him. Has the kid complained of no start issues?

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
no no i know i not bashing him in no way shape or form i know what he is goin through so instead of trying to get ahold of him i just went with matt because it was the best price and i could get a reply intantly,

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I told the kid what it was doing and what Tony said. He never followed up.

I'm not trying to knock Tony either, but I wasn't interested in having all the extra time associated with the chip. It's not worth it to have problems that drag on for months.

So who can burn something on the PCM?

Tom S

Reaction score
I think you might be happier in the long run with a few different tunes but if you just want a PCM flash DP-Tuner.

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
Splain please.

A 6 pos. will give you more options as to how the truck drives. Do you want to be in an economy setting, tow setting, or performance setting? You have the option as to what you want. Where as the tuned PCM you have a little more power but I doubt you would want the most power you can get out of your truck running at all times for your transmissions sake. You can't change anything.

neverkickn

Reaction score
A 6 pos. will give you more options as to how the truck drives. Do you want to be in an economy setting, tow setting, or performance setting? You have the option as to what you want. Where as the tuned PCM you have a little more power but I doubt you would want the most power you can get out of your truck running at all times for your transmissions sake. You can't change anything.

I can't see why not. I run my hot tune all the time. I tow in my hot tune.

I think that a well tuned pcm is not a bad option for someone that wants to keep it simple. You just have to realize that you can give it enough throttle to mess things up and you will be ok.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I had a chip, remember? It spent the whole time in tow. Economy was the same either way. I ordered a one position chip and he sent the others free. Maybe it only had four. Positions. High idle would be nice I guess, but I never used it either.

I realize my demands are different than a lot of other people on here, but my truck gets used different too. I have no desire to have a cluttered cab or 500 hp either. This truck can pull anything I've figured out how to hook up to it. I love the torque and mileage out of a diesel.

I'm not sure why keeping a truck stock or close to stock is seen as inferior. I own a v10 and prefer the powerstroke. Honestly all you guys are doing is talking me out of the chip..and that's ok too.

Latest posts

Members online