Lowering a 4x4 with leaf springs?

TurboM700

Reaction score
I'm wanting to lower my truck for the sole reason that when I'm towing my 5th wheel I dont have to crank it up and down so dang much. You can see with the 5th wheel hooked up it sits high in the front of the 5th wheel.

The back seems very easy just remove the rear blocks.

The front i'm a little confused on. I really only need the front to go down 1" and then with no blocks in the rear I will sit level and the 5th wheel should be about an inch high.

Any ideas

Here a pic of what I'm towing

IMG_0723.jpg

Thanks
Mike

KPSquared

Reaction score
I think the only way to really lower the front is to get different leaf springs. Any custom spring shop can bend you up a set any way you like them.

A lot of guys here just lift the trailers a little higher or buy bigger trailers that already sit higher... Those old 5th wheels really sit low.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
We usually put a block of wood under the jack,block the tires, it's an extra step but you wouldn't have to lower the truck. Can you do a spring over lift on the trailer? May help it sit level when hooked to the truck

TurboM700

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Played around with it a little and there really is not much room up front to drop the thing. The most I can see is an inch and I think it might be more work then its worth. Might just go with some 250 blocks in the rear an then the truck would atleast site level.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Mike

imelmo

Reaction score
From what I understand Excursion springs will drop the front about an inch.

TurboM700

Reaction score
out of curiousity are you pullin doubles in that pic?

Yes do it all the time. Cant even tell the 2nd one is back there. 62 ft end to end.

Looks like I need to find some X springs. Anybody have any good spot to buy them from.

Thanks again
Mike

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Besides from a junk yard or recycler, you can try sunrise ford. They have good prices and free shipping for PSA members IIRC

On Edit: Maybe even see if any members here with Excursions might want to trade and lift their excursion a little?

Latest posts

Members online