bakerc167

Reaction score
Im looking into buyin a 6uhoh dont really know anything about them ive owned 2 7.3s, any info when looking at trucks would be greatly appreciated.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Well I'll say what everyone else is going to say. EGR delete and head studs as soon as you get it. Other than that just try to make sure it was taken care of(oil changes, coolant flushes, tranny flushes)

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
The 6.0's can be great engines AS LONG AS they have been taken care of. If it were me, The first thing I would do is pop the hood and look for the white residue on and around the degas bottle. Then crank it up, run it around till' its up to operating temp, then give it a little hell. Do not be hard on the throttle until its up to operating temp, but don't be afraid to make some hard runs either. This (especially during the hot summer) will allow pressure to build in the cooling system and push out the degas bottle if a head gasket is compromised. Also pay attention to any hard starts or rough idle. If the buyer will allow, get an oil sample and overnight it to Blackstone (The kits are free and they send em' to you quick if you call and explain the situation.BTW, great company to deal with IMHO). The analysis will tell you of most any problem the truck could have with the engine (abnormal wear metals, coolant or fuel in oil, etc.). Another thing to be weary of is a K&N air filter, they have been known to allow dirt past the filter and into the intake. Check the brakes, under carriage, axles, and look closely at the bottom of the motor for leaks. Auto Ingenuity software will come in really handy to check your oil vs. coolant temps. More than 15* difference means you got a clogged oil cooler. The scangauge II will also give you some reliable temps if the AI isn't available. Usually if someone took good care of the interior, paint and kept good tires and brakes, then they took the time to change the oil regularly and stay on top of maintenance. Maintenance is key on these trucks.

bakerc167

Reaction score
Im looking at an 05 6 speed with 82k on it. Im hoping the Beginning of next week ill get a chance to go look at it. looks like a real clean truck from the pictures and what he has told me. No gooseneck hitch and the paint is still on the rear resevere.

bakerc167

Reaction score
Over on powerstroke.org they talk about the radiator coolant not being any good, what is that all about?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
The ford gold coolant has silicates that drop out and clog the oil cooler which causes the EGR cooler to overheat and rupture, thus sending coolant thru the intske and into the cylinders eventually causing enough steam to lift the head and compromise your heaf gaskets.

Atsah

Reaction score
Over on powerstroke.org they talk about the radiator coolant not being any good, what is that all about?

It's not that the Gold coolant is no good, if it's changed at 50K instead of the 100K that the book says, you shouldn't have a problem with the oil cooler clogging.. I'm on my second 6.0, first one had 225K on it and my current 6.0 has 166K and never a clogged cooler in either one..

I have found cutting the maintenance intervals in half (oil,coolant and all filters including fuel filters) is the name of the game if your going to own a 6.0. If you do buy a 6.0 it is best to use Motorcraft filters.. IMO, good clean quality oil is key..

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
If you do buy a 6.0 it is best to use Motorcraft filters.. IMO, good clean quality oil is key..

:whs:
Forgot to mention that Motorcraft filters are a must. And always replace the o-ring on the cap.