Disk Brake Conversion

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
Well its brake time again and i have found a disk brake conversion kit online and wondering if anyone has ever had this item for has any experience with this company. Thank you for all input want to order this soon and would like to know if its worth a sh!r or Not:biggrin:

http://www.tsmmfg.com/2670.htm

Zach

gnxtc2

Reaction score
This my take on rear discs............

This is my opinion on the rear disc conversion.

IMHO the Eldorado caliper is not meant for a 7,000 lb truck. They were marginally good for a 1976 Eldorado. I'll explain (this is my opinion on this subject).....

I bought the BlackBird rear disc kit. The kit was cheaper than the TSM kit due to the re-man calipers. The TSM kit comes with new calipers. When I installed the rear disc kit, I saved the drum brake parts.

After the install, the truck stopped but something was not right. So I decided to do the hydroboost conversion using all Ford parts. My friend had a 95 OBS F-Super Duty and I scoped it out. The OBS F-SuperDuty had hydroboost and rear discs. I even drove it. So I ordered a hydroboost, master and high pressure hoses for hydroboost conversion. The bore on the master is larger with 4 wheel disc

After the install, the brake pedal was hard, felt like manual brakes. The truck stopped but the pedal needed alot of effort. I did not like the high pedal effort. Forget about towing a trailer, the trailer was pushing the truck while braking. I had my gf drive my truck while at the track and she even commented on the high brake effort.

After I did the rear disc kit, the hub seals started leaking until I figured out how to get them to stop leaking. I trashed a set of rear disc brake pads due to them getting coated with gear oil. As I was turning in the pistons, the caliper seals started leaking. I ordered re-man calipers from the local auto parts store and they looked like crap. So I ordered new brake calipers from TSM. Still no difference with brake pedal effort.

Now I'm starting to analyze the rear caliper pressure strength. I even thought about install dual rear calipers. Leaving the Eldorado calipers for the E-brake and adding a set of non-E-brake calipers. I spoke with BlackBird about my idea and he said go for it. Then we got on the subject of the Eldorado caliper. He said if I find something better with an intergral E-brake, to let him know. At this point, I'm thinking about putting my drums back on.

I even installed stainless brake lines from CT Performance and a new RABS valve all with no change in brake pedal feel.

I tried cheap semi-metalic pads and modified a set of Performance Friction pads to be used the Eldorado calipers. The brake pad for rear caliper has a "tit" on it to to keep the piston properly adjusted.

The Eldorado calipers adjusted themselves when the E-brake was applied. I use my E-brake everytime I park.

When I was bleeding the rear calipers, there was a heavy flow of brake fluid, the volume was there.

While at the PRI show, I was speaking with owner of Wilwood. I was explaining my hard brake pedal issue with him. Then he mentioned to me what my truck weighs. I tell him 7K and he stated to put the drums back on and keep the hydroboost. He further stated that the Eldorado calipers are not meant for a truck and no less towing a trailer. They are calipers for cars not trucks.

About 2 weeks ago, I put the drums back on. I almost went through the windshield when I hit the brakes. I couldn't be happier. I think the brakes work too good

There is a thread on TDS with a another guy with the same problem.

Flame suit on :poke:

For reference:
'85-'98 Ford Sterling
Ford Rear Disc Brake Kits for 9", Dana 60, Dana 70 and Sterling (scroll down)
Hydroboost install done!! I guess I'll try a Parachute!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
www.obspowerstroke.com

Billy T.
[email protected]

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49247&highlight=gnxtc2

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

old man dave

Reaction score
At the top of the 94-97 aftermarket section there is a sticky for the hydroboost conversion listing the OBS F-SuperDuty parts needed, straight bolt-in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online