Battery light a flickering

zilla68

Reaction score
Just pulled into the house after working all day, and on the way home the battery light started flickering. Battery gauge shows where it always is.

Any ideas, before I start checking it out in the am?

Alternator is a lifetime from napa, and is about 2 years old, but hell it probably only has 3k or less on it.

I'll throw the mt2500 on it tomorrow, and see what it says.

Isn't there sometimes an issue with a plug on it or something like that?

Stroker f-250

Reaction score
its either the plug or your alternator is going dead,,i have the lifetime from napa also and i have been through quite a few alternators on my pickup

strokefreak

Reaction score
if your alt is known good... pull the plug,clean the terminals and plug socket as best you can. put a small dab of elec. grease on it,reconnect and be on your way. ive used two diff plugs on mine and it will still do it every now and then.

zilla68

Reaction score
will do, funny thing is napa, last time I was in for an exchange told me there is only one store in OKC, that can check these alternators and I needed to drive into the city to have it checked before they would exchange it. After a few "nice" words with the manager I walked out with a new alternator.

They seriously expect someone to drive over 30 minutes 1 way to the only store in the metro that can check this alternator? They are nuts.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Ya thats a lil rediculus man. Usually the napa altinators seem to last about a year for me an then they are done. You think they would make them real good so they wouldnt have to worry about replacing so many.

zilla68

Reaction score
ok, got a new one, guy offered me the ambulance model since I have a fist full of reciepts from exchanges since 2004, lol, but he said it doesn't fit my pedestal, shows a different mount. Anyone know any different.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I don't know if it fits, but I'd check the wire size before putting it on. What gauge wire is that? It's about 6' long, IIRC.

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
I believe it will bolt in but you will either need the correct harness for it or you will have to do some rewiring in order to make it work properly. The down side is it is just another reman alternator that will die just like the rest of them. The only difference is that it is higher amp rated. The question is at what rpm is that higher rating. Is it from idle on up higher or is it a higher rating at the 2k rpm mark?