7.3, 6.0, or 6.4?

which powerstroke

• Total voters

oneturboforme

Reaction score
so my intent of this project is i have a 79 ford f350 crew cab that i want to convert to diesel, so i have a rolled 07 crew cab short box that i will be more than likely using for the frame/suspension. now the 6.0 that i have is built but honestly im not sure if i should use that or another series of engine. i know the 7.3 can be built to put out some serious power, but the 6.4 is a strait rocket and with it being a common rail it seems like cold weather doesnt bother it as much i know i will have to deal with electronics etc with the various different engines and im ok with that i just want to get peoples opnions on which motor they would use. just wondering what yall think, and please dont say put a cummins in it. i would put a 300 six in it waaaay before i would throw that engine in a truck i owned.

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
If money isn't a problem is go 6.4......but you have a perfectly good 6.0 engine sitting there

TERRCO

Reaction score
I would just go with what you want. I like the 7.3 . It is very reliable but cost mucho dinero to go fast. Hp gains per dollar I would use the 6.4 .

Sent from my Nuclear iPhone

oneturboforme

Reaction score
i think my main issue with the 6.0 is i look at those motors and im completely lost, i know its not much diff. than a 6.4 but i worked on my 6.4 a lot so i knew where everything is. and i mean my 7.3 that i own now i love it minus a lack of power(my 468 and injectors should fix that) and it really doesnt like cold weather.

sootie

Reaction score
i would go with a 6.0 because they are cheaper than a 6.4 to fix, have good aftermarket options avail, get great fuel economy.

oh and you have one.

Bigsteve

Reaction score
I had a 6.0 for a year, worst year of my life! Went back to a 7.3 never happier. Costly mods but a fun challenge.

Baker42

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk but a built 12 valve would be an easy swap and make nice HP and they are very reliable.

johnp115

Reaction score
I voted before i saw this thread and voted 6.4, but after seeing this thread i would forsure say 6.0. Its pretty solid once bullet proof.. and it sounds the best of all in my opinion. and the aftermarket options are vast.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Run with what you have, if you got a built 6.0 already you are ahead of the game, grab some more mods or use the engine money to help with another part of the build (interior, susp, paint, etc)

Make a build thread for whichever route you go, would love to see it progress

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Since you have a 6.0 already I would say go with it. The 6.0s, when you take care of the head problems, are imho a better engine then the 7.3. Not to mention they also have a better built bottom end. Have great bolt on options for turbos, And seem to be better in cold weather then the 7.3 is.

If the 7.3 had the 6.0 injection system and bottom end I would say 7.3. This is coming from a guy that Loves the 7.3 engines. So you can take it for what its worth.

Rancher

Reaction score
i put my 66 on a smashed 96 and just used the 7.3 but im a 7.3 fan dont own any fords newer than 00

RSK

Reaction score
How much power you looking for? I voted 6.4 but certainly not cheap route. But man are they great in the cold weather and super easy to make power with.