Shortbed reg cab SD

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I'm working on gathering parts to make my 2000 reg cab 4x4 SD into a shortbed, I was curious what some of the guys that have done this were using for a fuel tank?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
You can get an after market to slide onto the rear frame rails. I've seen some as big as 45 gallons.

fbilly420

Reaction score
I am going to be running a fuel cell.

I dont think the stock tank will fit. I think the tank on reg cabs is the same tank they use on short bed trucks.

Maybe an F150 short bed tank?

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I'll get pics up as soon as they get it where can post pics from iPhone, I have been thinking about using a cab an chassis tank for a SD but they are hard to find at wrecking yards around here and ford want $1k bucks for a new one....

JMart

Reaction score
A short bed tank will work. Thats what I put in mine. You will have to make a new mounting bracket for the front of it. The rear can still be used.

JMart

Reaction score
Its the same length but the fill is on the other end. The long bed tank is wider and deeper. They also have different fuel pickup units. I modified mine to fit though. Mine comes up to about an inch short of the transmission cross member. I dont know how the transfer case sits in there. It might not work if it is wider then the transmission on the driver side.

You can do an excursion tank and hang it in place of the rear tire and put the fill in the bed if the short bed tank wont work.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Its the same length but the fill is on the other end. The long bed tank is wider and deeper. They also have different fuel pickup units. I modified mine to fit though. Mine comes up to about an inch short of the transmission cross member. I dont know how the transfer case sits in there. It might not work if it is wider then the transmission on the driver side.

You can do an excursion tank and hang it in place of the rear tire and put the fill in the bed if the short bed tank wont work.

If your tank is an inch short of the trans cross member, the t case would be sitting inside the fuel tank if it were 4x4. I think a CC tank, or an excursion tank would be a nice solution.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
This is the ride I'm makin into shortbed!
IMG_3048.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_7493.jpg
[/IMG]
Also planning to go with a roll pan!

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Them was some greasy tacos huh! Lol!

Ok thanks guys I'll see if I can find a excursion tank because I can't find CC tank in my area....

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Yea an the taco lady thinks you look like Jason Aldean when you wear your hat!! We know why you had to make a quick run by the taco shop last week;)

Tonka350

Reaction score
how impossible is it to do this to a 4x4 and retain the lift that is on the truck? completely impossible? I've been looking into getting a sc/lb and converting it to a shortbed but putting an 8-10" lift on it if it's possible....

Chad

JMart

Reaction score
how impossible is it to do this to a 4x4 and retain the lift that is on the truck? completely impossible? I've been looking into getting a sc/lb and converting it to a shortbed but putting an 8-10" lift on it if it's possible....

Chad

You will have to clock the transfer case more then likely. That short of a distance with that much lift and your driveshafts will be facing almost straight down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online