Wheel stud HELP!!

mclarengts

Reaction score
this week I had 4 wheel studs break, and 5 lug nuts come off. Long story short I dont know if someone messed with it, or they just came loose. My question is, is there a heavy duty stud set up out there, since i will be replacing them. I have 20" rims with 35" tires..
thanks

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
I don't know of any HD studs, but the only time I've seen this is if the lug nuts were loosened or worked themselves loose. Happen to me after having the tires rotated on a smaller truck, years ago. Scared the chit out me, when we pulled over and discovered it. Only had 2 of 5 left. :badidea:

Wright337

Reaction score
Are yours fine or course thread? My brother has a f250 and his are course but I have a srw f350 and mine are fine thread. I think the fine threads are a little heaver duty.?

Arisley

Reaction score
I always double check mine when it goes to a tire shop. A lot of kids putting tires on in those shops think 85 or 90 lbs is plenty. It will hold the wheel on for a bit, but they really need 140 lbs.

TARM

Reaction score
Some one messed with them. No way they all come off especially if you have not had tire changes recently.

IIRC 99.5-02 is course thread and 03-04 is fine thread studs

Cody

Reaction score
No way they all come off especially if you have not had tire changes recently.

i wouldnt necessarily say that, i had 5 of 8 come off on a trailer that i know no one messed with or was it recently serviced, i think it was more the style of rim

TARM

Reaction score
Then by what means did 3/4 of the studs and nuts come off a wheel that had been in regular use and had not seen any recent service? stubs breaking yes multiple lug nuts all at once not so much.

He had multiple nuts back off completely and likely then from that it created stress and wobble that broke studs. Properly tq lug nuts do not just back off especially multiple ones.. Hence the question of if it was recently serviced. If not chances are slim one day out of the blue not one but a few lug nuts happen to back off completely.

Honestly its pointless as whats done is done.