military move..possible to tow my rig??

dieseldbiscuit

Reaction score
Not my first PCS move..relocating from virginia beach to ft. Worth..can't wait to get back closer to home...Last move used a uhaul trailer to tow my car..Anyone know of a decent rental co. that I can tow my f350 myself without breaking the bank?..price quote for shipping it is absolutely ridiculous...thanks for any input

dsberman94

Reaction score
If your towing the 350 behind something bigger and heavier I might suggest a tow bar like there are pics of in the "what do you tow" thread. It's in the last couple pages of it. Should be easy to find. Couple $$ and some welding.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Lol..fact..even have a gooseneck setup..just not a fan of driving my vehicle damn near cross country putting those miles on it.

No offense but really? Pay 30k or more and you don't want to put 2-3k miles on it? It'll cost you in fuel what it would to ship it. Couple days beautiful country. Sounds like a nice vacation.:walkin:

dieseldbiscuit

Reaction score
No offense but really? Pay 30k or more and you don't want to put 2-3k miles on it? It'll cost you in fuel what it would to ship it. Couple days beautiful country. Sounds like a nice vacation.:walkin:

If that were the case..then yes absolutely..however, I have to travel to another state I have to attend a specialty school in route to my next duty station...not a straight shot

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
What will you be towing it with?

Check with Corbin? Maybe he can haul it a bit cheaper than whatever shipping companies you got quotes from?

bruce

Reaction score
Virginia to ft worth is prolly under 1500 miles. When I ets'd I drove from Washington to Tennessee. Fun ride. I don't see what the big deal about driving a truck you own that is capable of pulling a trailer to move. Why did you buy the truck then? To impress the girlies around the base?

Jason

Reaction score
Once I broke 200k, I didn't give a second thought to mileage. It is what it is at that point. None of the rental trucks are capable of pulling a trailer, with a super duty on them. Most of them are about tapped with a trailer and a small suv. I think their tow rating is like 5k lbs. I've looked into it once before, and they put a real quick stop to that idea.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Virginia to ft worth is prolly under 1500 miles. When I ets'd I drove from Washington to Tennessee. Fun ride. I don't see what the big deal about driving a truck you own that is capable of pulling a trailer to move. Why did you buy the truck then? To impress the girlies around the base?

Seriously. Done a few long trips, ME->FL, FL->ME, ME->MO, MO->ME, and many shorter. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. It's a truck, not a trailer queen. If it was a 69 Challenger then sure, probably should trailer it.

It's a truck.

bruce

Reaction score
its a 15 year old truck at that, a few miles aint gonna hurt the resale value. for the record i drove 2500 miles without so much as a screwdriver. some people say you need a need cps, alternator, ect. not this guy

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, not sure why he has a F350, I assume dually? But doesn't want to drive it.

I'm curious what he's planning on pulling the 350 with. I know it's far from a heavy load but if he's towing it with a gasser it just doesn't make any sense after you figure in fuel and what not.

OP, Load the bed up of your 350 with the little bit of **** you probably have due to being military, throw your other vehicle on a usual trailer, load the tow tune and enjoy a nice scenic trip.

Like mentioned above, if you do t want to tow with a vehicle designed to tow why the eff do you have it?

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, not sure why he has a F350, I assume dually? But doesn't want to drive it.

I'm curious what he's planning on pulling the 350 with. I know it's far from a heavy load but if he's towing it with a gasser it just doesn't make any sense after you figure in fuel and what not.

OP, Load the bed up of your 350 with the little bit of **** you probably have due to being military, throw your other vehicle on a usual trailer, load the tow tune and enjoy a nice scenic trip.

Like mentioned above, if you do t want to tow with a vehicle designed to tow why the eff do you have it?

johnp115

Reaction score
Gonna have to agree with everyone else... Towing a F350 is going to be more of a pain and more costly than simply using the f350 to haul everything you need in one trip. If you're worried about miles then just let the truck sit for a couple weeks here and there when you get to your destination.
There is nothing i like more than a long road trip in my truck, its what i feel most comfortable driving.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Active duty? When I was in the Gov paid to ship one and you had to foot the bill for the other one/ones if any more. Or is this a volunteered move and not a move they made for you ? Get with Chris Corbin on here, Corbin Shipping. He is a sponsor here as well as a decorated prior service member and stand up guy.

dieseldbiscuit

Reaction score

I'm aware of the distance but thanks..& really? The girlies..Im sure thats fun and all to some kids..but I am more than happy w/ my WOMAN..thanks for the assumption I guess but I'm little too old for that nonsense lol

dieseldbiscuit

Reaction score
What will you be towing it with?

Check with Corbin? Maybe he can haul it a bit cheaper than whatever shipping companies you got quotes from?

Thanks..it took some serious hunting but the company does have a truck/trailer w/ gooseneck capable of load weight I will be carrying..as I am planning on throwing my harley in the bed of the truck.. but yeah if I find a cheaper price never gonna turn that down..thanks to all for the positive feedback

Latest posts

Members online