• 3.55's

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • 3.31's

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I am going to do a gear swap this fall or winter. I am putting a ton of miles on my truck right now on a weekly basis and 3.73's are no longer an option for me. 3.55's would obviously be a better route to go if I was going to continue racing the truck, but I won't be (haven't even thought about since April). I never tow either, so I don't need lower gearing for that. The truck is 100% a daily driver that I am putting around 500 miles a week on.

Opinions are greatly appreciated!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Seems an easy decision based upon the parameters you gave.

3.31's would obviously be the best for fuel mileage, but would they affect drivability? That is my concern. Hoping to hear from people who have driven with both.

02BigD

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud,

1. Your guys' trucks spool so insanely fast.
2. You've got more than enough power.
3. You work for a tuning company, shouldn't be hard to find somebody to hook a brother up, if you need the tunes tweaked.

That being said, I just was pulling your leg a little because you really did narrow it down in the op LOL I am curious to see what others say.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud,

1. Your guys' trucks spool so insanely fast.
2. You've got more than enough power.
3. You work for a tuning company, shouldn't be hard to find somebody to hook a brother up, if you need the tunes tweaked.

That being said, I just was pulling your leg a little because you really did narrow it down in the op LOL I am curious to see what others say.

Asshole! LOL

Very true though. Obviously tuning for the gearing is not an issue.

Spatel23

Reaction score
seems like 3.31s would be a better fit for ya if you dont plan on racing it anymore.

I dont think it would be worth the coin just to go to 3.55s, you know what I say, if youre gonna do it, go all out.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
What kind of mileage are you getting with the 3.73s?

12-13 around town and 16-17 on the highway....at best.

I want to improve my fuel mileage without changing my driving habits....which would require a big RPM drop. I think I will more than likely do 3.31's. Shone brings up a good point. :toast:

LOL

David S.

Reaction score

I want to improve my fuel mileage without changing my driving habits....which would require a big RPM drop. I think I will more than likely do 3.31's. Shone brings up a good point. :toast:

LOL

That's about what I'm getting as well.

500 miles a week is insaine!

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Sounds like your mind is made up LOL.... I wish I could drop the gearing more on the 450 or afford another DD, it racked up over 30k miles last year.. and it sat for almost half the year

02BigD

Reaction score

I am shocked by those numbers, given what all you've got done to that truck, and the weight. I, without any basis, assumed that a tuned 6.4 would do better than that.

That's one reason to love the old dinosaur.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I am shocked by those numbers, given what all you've got done to that truck, and the weight. I, without any basis, assumed that a tuned 6.4 would do better than that.

He wants to get better mileage without changing his driving habits. There is the problem LOL

superstroked

Reaction score
Are you pulling or carrying anything in the bed??If not buy you a used jetta tdi, The fuel savings will pay for for the car and insurance. I am getting about 35-40 mpg in mine so far and I am not being easy on it 70-90 mph on the highway...and you can mod em..haha

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Slow down Jeff! LOL

I'm impatient and I drive better when I drive fast. I'm all over the road driving the speed limit. lol

I vote 3.55s that way if you wanna blast it down the strip again sometime you'll still have enough gear.

That was the only reason for considering 3.55's, but I haven't thought about racing once since the NHRDA event in April. My truck did all it could do with my setup then. No point in trying for more and end up breaking something. This is my daily driver. It has to get me from A to B and back to A everyday.

These trucks get great fuel mileage tuned. I just don't drive in a way with my setup to get great fuel mileage. I would rather spend the money to see a drastic RPM drop at the speed that I like to drive on the highway rather than change the way I drive. It's a comfort thing. Simple as that.

He wants to get better mileage without changing his driving habits. There is the problem LOL

Exactly! LOL

Are you pulling or carrying anything in the bed??If not buy you a used jetta tdi, The fuel savings will pay for for the car and insurance. I am getting about 35-40 mpg in mine so far and I am not being easy on it 70-90 mph on the highway...and you can mod em..haha

Nope, not towing. Just don't want to drive a car. I have driven a truck since I was 16 years old. If I can make my truck better on fuel with a simple gear swap, I'll do that way before going to a little ass car. 600 HP truck and 22-25 MPG on the highway vs. 200 HP car and get 35 MPG on the highway. Pretty easy decision for me. :D