p0231 code

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
2000 7.3 powerstroke.

Driving around in the sand in 4x4, all of a sudden lost mostly all power and started idling like crap. Cleared codes and it idles better now. Still throws a p0231 every time i clear it, and the truck wont free rev very well (seems like its starving) and when trying to drive it doesnt have enough power to get over 20mph.

Is the pump slowly dying? Do these pumps slowly die or is it usually a on or off sort of thing?
Starts up perfectly it seems and idles just fine now if the odd codes cleared

JLDickmon

Reaction score
that is a fuel pump code, so that could explain a lot..
gonna have to check it with a mechanical pressure gauge, but I'd budget for a new fuel pump

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
yeah my main question is, are these pumps on the superdutys known to die slowly, or do they generally just go out.

It fires up fine, it will idle fine, but just seems starving when you rev it up or try driving

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
They can fail slowly, but it seems this is often related to pre-pump (or in pump??) restrictions. This is a good reason for a vacuum gauge between pump and pre-pump filters.

Does anyone know the parameters for triggering 0231 code? Is PCM looking at pump voltage, amp draw or ????

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
They can fail slowly, but it seems this is often related to pre-pump (or in pump??) restrictions. This is a good reason for a vacuum gauge between pump and pre-pump filters.

Does anyone know the parameters for triggering 0231 code? Is PCM looking at pump voltage, amp draw or ????

I would like to know also! The odd thing is, this happened when he was out in the sand dunes, he was just tooling along and all of a sudden no power and it threw this code

golfer

Reaction score
ok, no CEL means that it's not electrical (wiring, inj solenoid, IDM*, UVC's, etc)

so I'd say that you are dealing with a mechanical problem with the injectors, or possibly a fuel contamination/pressure/quality issue...

...that's where I would start.

*the IDM can be bad w/o throwing a CEL light on some occasions...but if you say it is idling well...then I would skip the IDM for now...

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
ok, no CEL means that it's not electrical (wiring, inj solenoid, IDM*, UVC's, etc)

so I'd say that you are dealing with a mechanical problem with the injectors, or possibly a fuel contamination/pressure/quality issue...

...that's where I would start.

*the IDM can be bad w/o throwing a CEL light on some occasions...but if you say it is idling well...then I would skip the IDM for now...

I really appreciate the help! So your saying it can throw that fuel pump code even when its really another problem other than the pump or related parts to the pump?
For instance a injector issue can cause it to throw that code?

I have an AE and everything i can view on there seems to check out just fine, and the weird part is this issue started ALL at once

golfer

Reaction score
I really appreciate the help! So your saying it can throw that fuel pump code even when its really another problem other than the pump or related parts to the pump?
For instance a injector issue can cause it to throw that code?

I have an AE and everything i can view on there seems to check out just fine, and the weird part is this issue started ALL at once

..if this is the 1996 in your signature...then the fuel pump is, in no way, monitored by the PCM...and you can ignore that code.

golfer

Reaction score
He said its a 2000

yep...just saw that.

OP-
the PCM does monitor the current to the fuel pump relay...mainly to see that the relay is activating...tells you nothing @ fuel pressure, bad pump, good pump, etc...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.