A/F ratio???

Gearhead

Reaction score
Egts and smoke output. This is a fuel throttled engine.... don't have to worry about running it lean.

hotrodder_101

Reaction score
Well, when do you get into danger with the egts? I don't like all that smoke. If it smokes a little that's ok, but not like a freight train....

Gearhead

Reaction score
Well, when do you get into danger with the egts? I don't like all that smoke. If it smokes a little that's ok, but not like a freight train....

I have the lowest smoke in the industry. Smoke comes from a race-only setup, mismatched components, or tuning that doesn't reference the smoke control maps properly.

duddy

Reaction score
leaning out a diesel will not hurt it. it is like running an air compressor at that point. over fueling is the only issue, as to washing down cylinders. Forget your gas ratio training when coming to the diesel world, saves alot of headaches.

hotrodder_101

Reaction score
Ok. I'm thinking about gasoline engines too much. On these diesels, the fuel is injected at the point of ignition. There can be no detonation. So just adjust fuel until I am happy with the amount of smoke produced?

duddy

Reaction score
Yup, and if you can't back the fuel off, or adjust the injection timing, to get the smoke to go away to your liking, find a way to push the air in faster. With all the dodge dbags that play with efi, I think anyone with any engine background can figure out how to get a diesel to work to their liking.

And yes I will be running Gearhead's tunes in the near future! He took what should be simple to a high, near perfectionist level with his tuning.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup, and if you can't back the fuel off, or adjust the injection timing, to get the smoke to go away to your liking, find a way to push the air in faster. With all the dodge dbags that play with efi, I think anyone with any engine background can figure out how to get a diesel to work to their liking.

And yes I will be running Gearhead's tunes in the near future! He took what should be simple to a high, near perfectionist level with his tuning.

After a certain point with the Dodges even EFI Live gets tricky to back the smoke down with big injectors. If you're trying to use Smarty UDC, well they smoke until the turbo(s) light. Duramax is easy to get clean, they're a lot more responsive to timing and fuel changes, same with the common rail PSD.

As far as tuning diesel vs. gas, it's all about timing in a diesel. Smarty as a pretty good article on the basics. http://madselectronics.com/downloadfiles/SmartyUDCsw_TuningTips.pdf

duddy

Reaction score
After a certain point with the Dodges even EFI Live gets tricky to back the smoke down with big injectors. If you're trying to use Smarty UDC, well they smoke until the turbo(s) light. Duramax is easy to get clean, they're a lot more responsive to timing and fuel changes, same with the common rail PSD.

As far as tuning diesel vs. gas, it's all about timing in a diesel. Smarty as a pretty good article on the basics. http://madselectronics.com/downloadfiles/SmartyUDCsw_TuningTips.pdf

Nice, good explanations.

hotrodder_101

Reaction score
This is great info. Seems like something that runs on the MCC software. When you make timing changes, do you retard or advance? The truck will be stock for a while.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
More timing(advanced) will drop backpressure that drives the turbos while raising the cylinder pressure while providing a better burn(because of having more time to burn the fuel) But you need to be very careful not to go too far with it because it can raise the cylinder pressure so much you start to cause major damage.

hotrodder_101

Reaction score
It sounds like you need a good mix between advancing the timing and egts. Is there a indication when it's advanced too much other than engine damage?

Gearhead

Reaction score
It sounds like you need a good mix between advancing the timing and egts. Is there a indication when it's advanced too much other than engine damage?

Yes, the engine will start fighting itself and you BSFC starts getting bad because the cylinder pressure is causing more resistance than the power you are adding by advancing the timing.

hotrodder_101

Reaction score
Ahh. I guess when the time comes I will need some help. lol How hard is it to tune a stock truck? Don't want to delete it and void warranty.

Latest posts

Members online