Line Locks

TARM

Reaction score
The parking brakes in SD suck. They are not in any way a E-brake only a P-brake. They seem to always loose tension. If you forget to take it off and drive with it on even a short distance you are right back to starting over. My P-brake light sensor was intermittent and I ended up driving a mile or so with it on.

I have seen a number of people use them as parking brakes and they seem to work well. The chance you are taking I think is a soleniod failure would mean loos of brake. If this is being used on a auto not that big of a deal but if we are talking a manual trans that could turn ugly.

Honestly if I could get way with that and it would pass inspection( it very much doubt) I would get the p-brake cable out there as its always in the way of stuff I am doing and end up having to work around it. My p-brake does very little as I have gotten tired of adjusting it

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
I think I woudl be looking at the manual ones as I am not sure the electric ones are made to be used for extended time along with the other issues of needing power to them at all times.

Arisley

Reaction score
The parking brakes in SD suck. They are not in any way a E-brake only a P-brake. They seem to always loose tension. If you forget to take it off and drive with it on even a short distance you are right back to starting over. My P-brake light sensor was intermittent and I ended up driving a mile or so with it on.

I have seen a number of people use them as parking brakes and they seem to work well. The chance you are taking I think is a soleniod failure would mean loos of brake. If this is being used on a auto not that big of a deal but if we are talking a manual trans that could turn ugly.

Honestly if I could get way with that and it would pass inspection( it very much doubt) I would get the p-brake cable out there as its always in the way of stuff I am doing and end up having to work around it. My p-brake does very little as I have gotten tired of adjusting it

I adjust mine once a year, the day before I get my truck inspected. When I get done, I back off the adjustment.

tgf

Reaction score
I have a 6-speed. The only reason I'm even considering this is when I go hook up to a trailer or have to run into work and don't want to shut it down to keep it from rolling. If I was to put one in I would want to run an Id-10-T light at either the bottom of the gauge cluster or on the pod around eye level

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have a manual one in my international rollback at work and love it. Flip it up and push the brake and its locked. Doesn't look very snazy but in the rollback it looks right at home lol.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I looked into these a long time ago, since even well-adjusted the factory e-brake won't begin to hold my truck and a trailer on any kind of an incline. :lame: I was told that line locks can 'loosen' up as brakes cool off and reduce holding pressure. Not sure how true that was...

I still want one - please document your install and report how it performs!!! :toast:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
you guys are looking for whats called a micro lock/,or lever lock. theyre commonly found on towing vehicles. you would pump the brake,and swing the lever over,and it will lock the brakes. last i knew. they were about 600$. ill see if i can get a link.

tgf

Reaction score
That's pretty much the same principle as the link I provided is it not? For what I would use one a staging break I would think would work, but that's why I posted up here.
I have never relied on an e-brake for anything other than hooking trailers and quick stops at work on fairly level ground.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That's pretty much the same principle as the link I provided is it not? For what I would use one a staging break I would think would work, but that's why I posted up here.
I have never relied on an e-brake for anything other than hooking trailers and quick stops at work on fairly level ground.

if you are going to use the line lock that you posted for doing burnouts and stuff? yes it will work. if your going to use it to park? then no. those line lock are for momentary use. (staging,burnouts,that kind of stuff.) theyre not designed to be left on. the valve your looking for is going to full mechanical. this isnt a legal replacement to the factory ebrake the truck came with. if your factory installed ebrake system isnt operating,the truck would still fail a inspection. just some food for thought.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
[url]http://www.mico.com/store/index.php

you guys arent going to like the prices of these!!!

http://www.mico.com/store/brake_locks

If you scroll down the page, lower down they have part #02-640-126. This is what I am running on my rollback and it has sat for a week on a slope and never had an issue.

And they are no where near the cost of the electric ones. I didnt have any inspection problems with this set-up either, although I would check your local laws before purchasing one as everywhere seems to have different rules.

tgf

Reaction score

If you scroll down the page, lower down they have part #02-640-126. This is what I am running on my rollback and it has sat for a week on a slope and never had an issue.

And they are no where near the cost of the electric ones. I didnt have any inspection problems with this set-up either, although I would check your local laws before purchasing one as everywhere seems to have different rules.

I'm following you now. How complected is the install?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

i mean i wouldnt replace the factory ebrake with this. as per the ad,its supplemental to add to the factory holding capacity of the factory ebrake
I'm following you now. How complected is the install?
its not hard. all you do is run the main rear brake feed into the micro,then back to the brakes. simple.

Bean

Reaction score
Dont use an electric solenoid, they bleed off so you walk away from the truck and there it goes.

I would rather trust a simple ball valve routed into the cab then a line lock.

Latest posts

Members online