Going from 6" to 4" lift.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Right now I have a 6" super lift with rear springs. The rear I am just going to remove the stock blocks and be good..

Now the front.. What can I do? As far as the pitman arm, do they make one for a 4" lift, it looks like the 4 inch kit doesn't come with a pitman arm but honestly I would think it needs one.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Just getting tired of my truck.. I want to go to 35s I guess that might change my mind into liking it again.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Well doing some searching.. I found that the 4" leaf springs have less packs, maybe going to try and take some out later this week...

Just looked at it again will the track bar drop bracket also be a problem?

Last edited:

squeak12

Reaction score
I changed from a ProComp 6.5" to a ProComp 4". Same pitman arm. Different sway bar links, different trackbar drop bracket. I had different front and rear springs.

DcMoore

Reaction score
I called Super Lift today and he said to just change to the top hole in the track bar drop bracket. :doh:

He said just use the stock pitman arm.. But that isn't going to work for me.

chappy

Reaction score
If you look here you will see that the the pitman arm srop is for 3-6in lifts. I use the same one from my 4in kit when i went to a 6in. I also use the same trac bar bracket from my 4in lift for the 6in lift springs. A 4in lift will require a drop trac bar bracket. I pieced the kit together on my other truck and without a trac bar drop pulls down hard on your suspension and pulls the axle over quite a bit. The ride was harsher as well.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=210149136
Here is a drop track bar bracket from rough country and there bracket is for a 4-6in lift. So I would say your bracket is fine for use for a 4in.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=170114006 With a 6in lift you should really run an adjustable trac bar with a 6in since it will pull the axle over but a 4in it is fine.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wouldnt a guy just need to buy front 4" springs? I mean ditching the stock block is going to pull about three inches outta the rear. Having the larger springs in the rear and no block would really help alleviate some of the axle wrap too!!

Change of subject, but not really a derail, wouldnt a coilover ride better than a leaf setup in the front of the 99-04's?

DcMoore

Reaction score
My factory block was only 2 inches.. I now need to get a 2 degree shim because the block is I think a 4 degree... Not really sure.

And the front I ended up taking three leafs out and moving the trac bar up to the next hole. My drop bracket has two holes. Thanks for the info guys.

chappy

Reaction score
No prob I bet the bottom hole will work for 6-8in lifts. You have the one piece drive shaft correct? I do as well And I'm needing to shim my rear axle as well DO you think the 4 degree was good for your drive shaft angle? I don't have any and I get a vibration at 70mph so I know i need to address it.

DcMoore

Reaction score
I think it was a little much. That is why I'm going down to a 2. I get a vibration right now because my rear end is on it's death bed.. I have a new one to put in soon.

I have a one piece btw.
What lift/tire combo do you have?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Maybe its an optical illusion but that rear tires does NOT look centered?

Betarocker

Reaction score
4" and more lift requires a drop pitman, and if you have a drop pitman you NEED a drop tracbar bracket. The position of the tracbar upper mount should not change as the lift increases or decreases because the tracbar and draglink NEEDs to be parallel. The only thing that will change as heights vary are the lengths of both bars.

TyCorr

Reaction score
4" and more lift requires a drop pitman, and if you have a drop pitman you NEED a drop tracbar bracket. The position of the tracbar upper mount should not change as the lift increases or decreases because the tracbar and draglink NEEDs to be parallel. The only thing that will change as heights vary are the lengths of both bars.

Great post! To the point and helpful.:whs:

DcMoore

Reaction score
Thanks man.. I'll take a look at it.

And Ty.. I looked at my axle and it is not center, I'm not sure why it is like this but I went back in my pics and it's always been like that. I also checked out the superduty pic thread and noticed several that are like this... :shrug:

Betarocker

Reaction score
Some suspension manufacturers move the axles forward on their leafs. My Icons are the same, with the front leafs forward so that under compression the tires have more clearance to the sheet metal, especially with longer shackles. The rears are forward so the wheel base remains unchanged.

Members online

No members online now.