Installing TruTrac

juniort444e

Reaction score
Who has installed a trutrac or something similar into a superduty. I dont feel like paying someone to do it, but at the same time i want it done right and dont want it to take me all day to install.

So how bad is it to install, and what all is involved.

Thanks

Cody

Reaction score
ive helped a buddy install them in a SA chevy, if it were up to me id weld the spider gears haha jk

juniort444e

Reaction score
LOL... I dont want to do that.

Im curious to know if the old spacers will work fine with the new unit. I didnt get anything new with this other than the unit itself. And im worried about having to check the clearances inbetween the teeth.

08psdbeast

Reaction score
Check the backlash before removing the old diff.
Keep track of the location of the spacers.
Check the backlash after installing the locker.
If there is a difference and the backlash is no longer within the manufacturer's specs then you will need to re-shim.
If it is the same or different but still within specs then you should be OK.
You should always check the contact pattern even if you don't have to re-shim. It might not have been correct to begin with. Just sayin.
The contact pattern should be oval/elliptical and in the very center of the ring gear tooth.
I've seen factory diffs that were so far out they howled going down the road.
If you've never done one before I would plan on it taking most of a weekend.
I used to know a guy that could do one correctly in about 3 1/2 hours.
My best was about 8 hours but that was a long time ago.
Good luck.

juniort444e

Reaction score
That really motivated me. :fustrate: Seriously tho, after reading that i might call and get a price tomorrow. I dont have a weekend right now to do this, or the rearend know how either.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
When I installed my TrueTrac I only ended up using the original spacer on the right side and the left side was drastically different.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Ford had a decent selection at my local dealer. There are quite a few to say the least... LOL and they are not cheap for OEM ones so I'd say measure as best you can and buy the 2 nearest that.

Or you can get the cheap shim kits that have 2 thick washers and a bunch of thin spacers to add up to what you need. But I would recommend the machined OEM spacers first if possible.

Latest posts

Members online