For those of you looking to "Sound Deaden" your truck!

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've seen a lot of posts recently with people going crazy covering their interiors with Dynamat.
I wanted to inform you that you are doing it wrong. Dynamat or (CLD) Constrained-Layer Deadener wasn't designed to block or absorb sound. It was designed to absorb vibrations. While CLD is important, you should consider sticking to the 25% rule.

Please give this a quick read:
Structural damping, whether extensional or constrained-layer, provides an at-the-source solution to noise control problems. Further, it is not always necessary to use 100 percent panel coverage to achieve significant noise reductions. For example, 50 percent coverage will provide a noise reduction that is typically only 3 decibels (dB) less than for 100 percent coverage; 25 percent coverage is only 6 dB less. When properly used, damping can be as cost effective as it is acoustically effective.
If you want to read even more about CLD (Constrained-Layer Dampening), read this PDF: http://www.earsc.com/pdfs/engineering/understandingdamping.pdf

To sum everything up:
25% coverage is 6db louder and 50% coverage is 3db louder than 100% coverage. To put this into perspective, 30db is a whisper.

Then there is the Absolute Threshold of Hearing. The Absolute Threshold of Hearing theory states that on average, the human ear will not notice a 3-4db swing in volume. So say you listen to a beep with no other background noises present. If the beep plays at 40db and 42db, you wont be able to notice a difference. Yet, if the beep plays at 43+db you have a higher chance of noticing the difference in volume.

Then you have to debate with yourself how much that 6db — that you probably wont notice — is worth. So say 100% coverage of a crew cab floor, doors, back wall, and a-pillars = ~85 Sq/Ft.
Well 85 Sq/Ft of nice quality CLD runs you about $400 before shipping. UPS ground says shipping will cost $75.00 on 85 Sq/Ft. So now you are looking at a total of $475.00 for 100% coverage of CLD. (Keep in mind that number is excluding all coverage of CLD on the roof.)

Now at 25% coverage of CLD you are looking at about 22 Sq/Ft. Well 22 Sq/Ft will run you around $125 and shipping is only about $25. That's a total of only $150 for 25% coverage.
Is the $325.00 difference worth the 6db difference? For some yes. For me, no. In a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between 25% vs 100% coverage.
I would be much happier spending my $325 on other materials that will actually absorb sound.

When I applied my CLD, I applied more in some areas. For example, on my floor I followed the 25% rule pretty strictly. But for the wall behind the rear seat I went with 50% coverage because of how thin the sheet metal is there. (Use good judgement) Dampener can also be used for many other good things, such as sealing off those gigantic holes behind your door panels. When you seal those holes up, you'd be amazed by how great your door speakers sound! Your door acts like a hermetically sealed subwoofer box.

So with that extra money you saved by only using 25% of CLD, spend it on other materials that will actually block and absorb sound.

Another great material that blocks sound (not absorption) is MLV or Mass Loaded Vinyl. Keep in mind this stuff usually weighs around 1.5-2lbs per sq/ft and can be hard to glue.

You also want to use some good material for sound absorption. I like using fiberglass insulation from Lowes. Pull the paper backing off and use spray adhesive to get it to stick. Under dash, inside door panels, and many more places! This stuff is amazing.
I also like using the carpet padding that you can buy at Lowes.
Combine a good amount of all of these materials and you will be in great shape.

Remember that your glass will always be the weakest point. You can only do so much with sound deadener before your glass and weatherstripping limit you.

I really hoped this helped. I enjoy sharing my knowledge and wanted to give back to everyone here for their help and support.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Ok? So what am I missing here?
Why would you only cover 25% and have "bulged" carpet, and roof liner?
Pretty hard to hide that, isn't it?

jdc753

Reaction score
It should hide pretty easily, the CLD is only around 3/16" thick. Personally I like 100% coverage. It is true you get diminishing returns beyond 25%, but that 25% factor is also if you can center the material on the flat face of the panel you are trying to dampen, how many flat panels do you know in a car other than the outer door skins or roof skin.

From the factory many vehicles already have some CLD installed. My 05 had a piece on the outer door skin, maybe 25% coverage.

Here is some more info on the 25% rule, http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Also don't overspend for product, Dynamat is the most expensive you can buy mainly for the name brand. The product is solid, so if you can get it cheap go for it, but otherwise you will save mucho $$ going with Raam Audio BXT II There is denser/thicker product out there, and also cheaper/weaker product but the BXT is the best bang for the buck at the moment on the market.

It is also true that CLD is only the beginning as it is purely for "structural born" noises aka vibrations and resonances, but "air born" noises such as road/wind/tire/exhaust will require an MLV or closed cell foam.

the pink insulation works like polyfill (typically used inside sub boxes) and slows down the sound waves as they travel through the air, this is good in large cavities as mentioned, such as the dash.

The carpet padding acts like the closed cell foam, the primary difference is the home grade carpet padding can soak up moisture, where the audio product closed cell phone will not soak up moisture.

DSG03bolt

Reaction score
The 100% Coverage Will Help Keep Inside Temp At Desired Levels Tho, But That Stuff Adds Up Weight Wise.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
The 25% rule is fine but some of us like overkill.
Telling people to use fiberglass mat is ridiculous though. Talk about worthless as far as sound absorption....
Stick with CLD, a layer of CCF to decouple and MLV to block the sound if you want to go all the way out on the project. I run 100% CLD and CCF in varying thicknesses in different spots. I only care about judging though...and I'm unbeaten in my class in MECA this year so it's working just fine.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
The 25% rule is fine but some of us like overkill.
Telling people to use fiberglass mat is ridiculous though. Talk about worthless as far as sound absorption....
Stick with CLD, a layer of CCF to decouple and MLV to block the sound if you want to go all the way out on the project. I run 100% CLD and CCF in varying thicknesses in different spots. I only care about judging though...and I'm unbeaten in my class in MECA this year so it's working just fine.

I have no problem with overkill. To some of us, the 6db is worth the extra cost. I just wanted to show some real statistics behind the 25% rule as some people think it is a myth.

I wasn't talking about fiberglass mat. I was talking about R13 insulation they use in homes. The stuff that is 3 1/2" thick.
CLD, CCF, & MLV do not absorb sound. The dampen, decouple, and block sound. Absorption of sound is often overlooked.

As someone who has spent too much time in attics, I can tell you fiberglass insulation does a pretty good job at absorbing sound.

uw mitch

Reaction score
the pink insulation works like polyfill (typically used inside sub boxes) and slows down the sound waves as they travel through the air, this is good in large cavities as mentioned, such as the dash.

So you're say there's a product that changes the speed of sound? Interesting...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

jdc753

Reaction score

I tried for a second to find some semi credible scientific sources to the physics but I just can't. So instead this is a generic audio related source that is the common thought throughout the audio world...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_027808...-pack.html?showAll=N&search=polyfill&skipvs=T

Crutchfield said:
The sound wave coming off the back of your subwoofer reacts with the air contained in the box. Polyester fiber stuffing slows down sound waves inside the box, making the subwoofer perform as if the box were bigger. Use 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of stuffing per cubic foot of box volume.

Its the same basic stuff as the insulation in your home, now I don't know the physics behind it if it slows down the waves as they travel or more disperses the waves scattering their travel, but its been around and used for ages in car audio and even home and studio so it has some effects.

Jomax

Reaction score
Why would you want itchy fiberglass in your truck? I climb in attics and lemme tell ya.. it's not fun. If you stuff that stuff under the dash, how can you be sure it doesn't go in the ducts ans blow right in your face?

Now if you're talking about another insulation, ignore above.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

backwoodsboy

Reaction score

The speed of sound is dependent on the medium it is traveling through. So yes, there are products that 'change the speed of sound'.

What I believe jdc753 is saying is that the amplitude of the sound wave is decreased.

Last edited:

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I'd be willing to lend out my DB meter to anyone wanting to take measurements of their truck. Could give us some good comparison number for different styles and uses of sound deadening material!