This may be a dumb ?

RBernardi

Reaction score
Alright so I have been a member for a little over a month, and in the diesel world for maybe 4 months. I've been tryin to soak up as much knowledge as possible, but I'm not quite sure or not if a turbo off a 2006 6.0l would work or be beneficial. I can get one that is in good shape, cheap. I searched and didn't come across any thing covering this. Thanks in advance

jdgleason

Reaction score
Negative. The pedestals to mount the turbos are different, and the 6.0 turbo is a vgt turbo and is controlled by an actuator. Which is a system 7.3s don't have.

RBernardi

Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much for the information. The reason I asked. A guy from work son supposedly had done this to his 97, but from reading on here I didn't think it would have been possible. Maybe he was confused.
Oh, and I'll add to my sig.

RBernardi

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure. At the moment I would like to shoot for the 400hp range. Like I stated previously I'm learning still, and don't have a full grip on what this goal may require. I don't plan on racing or pulling. It is my daily driver, so obviously it needs to be reliable. I will be studying plenty more before making any decisions.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
You have got a good start by being willing to learn and asking questions.

More things for you to bat around when thinking about how you want to mod your truck power wise is what its used for. I know you said you want a reliable DD. But maybe you tow every now and again. The first and best thing to do to your truck power wise, after the supporting mods(exhaust, intake, gauges) is tuning. And after some research you will find there is a ton of tuning options out there for you to choose from.

RBernardi

Reaction score
af8e6a8a.jpg

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
You have got a good start by being willing to learn and asking questions.

More things for you to bat around when thinking about how you want to mod your truck power wise is what its used for. I know you said you want a reliable DD. But maybe you tow every now and again. The first and best thing to do to your truck power wise, after the supporting mods(exhaust, intake, gauges) is tuning. And after some research you will find there is a ton of tuning options out there for you to choose from.

:whs: then you can start adding powah.

chromehound

Reaction score
Before long somebody will figure out how to get the VGT turbos to work on our trucks. They already do it with the 351VGT off the 6.7 Cummins onto the 5.9s, Fleece (IIRC) was making or had made a stand alone controller for the second or third gens and some guys have been setting them up on first gens. There is a few threads on DTR and Comp about it. With enough interst it could happen.

RBernardi

Reaction score
thanks alot. i really wanted a ccsb but it had to smog exempt because i was sick of dealing with CA. i wanted a diesel that way i could get a fifth wheel down the road. anyways i looked for about a year, but never on any diesel sites just craigs trucktrader stuff like that. i couldnt find any in ca just wa, co, or, and some other states. turns out my friends father in law had it the whole time and never mentioned it until he asked what i was in the market for......i only told him a 100 times. i guesa he takes too many bong rips lol.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Very nice truck btw. It could be done but for the price and amount of time you could by a t4 mount and a s366 turbo for $1000 total. The controllers aren't cheap iirc. Then you would have many more options to step up to if your goals or needs changed. If my stocker dies that is what is going in its place. The vgt would be cool but thats about it.

chromehound

Reaction score
Yeah the controllers were ~$800 IIRC but one of the guys on Comp controls his with a window switch and an actuator - it's not automatic but still cool. I always wanted one because of the built in "exhaust brake" feature of the VGT but after I got one and found out how much of a PITA it would be, well things changed.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Before long somebody will figure out how to get the VGT turbos to work on our trucks. They already do it with the 351VGT off the 6.7 Cummins onto the 5.9s, Fleece (IIRC) was making or had made a stand alone controller for the second or third gens and some guys have been setting them up on first gens. There is a few threads on DTR and Comp about it. With enough interst it could happen.

Yes your correct, Fleece does to the VGT on the 5.9's with a stand alone controller. Its pretty sweet, but not easy on the pockets.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I had a thread about a friend with a super duty claiming he put a 60 on his 7.3 SD. Verdict was it was not cost effective, even if it was done the 6.0 vgt doesn't flow but just a touch more than super duty 7.3 stock turbo. So you would b better off shelling out $ for a upgrade made for 7.3

RBernardi

Reaction score
I had a thread about a friend with a super duty claiming he put a 60 on his 7.3 SD. Verdict was it was not cost effective, even if it was done the 6.0 vgt doesn't flow but just a touch more than super duty 7.3 stock turbo. So you would b better off shelling out $ for a upgrade made for 7.3

Ya that's exactly what I'm going to end up doin. It may be awhile, but there will definitely be a thread along the way.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
another thing some people look over is maintenance, i would make sure everything is up to snuff on the truck before you start modifying it, change all the fluids replace and warn out or broken parts, bushings, things of that nature first. then go for the goodies

Latest posts

Members online