Trying to find a tail gate...

Foxracing0934

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what year trucks the OBS tailgate with Ford stamped into it were one. And not the early 80's ones that are bumped in around the Ford, I'm trying to find the one that looks like the 87-97 tail gate. Someone posted a picture of one up in this thread, http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4915&page=2, in the first picture. But I don't think it's his rig. If anyone could tell me where to find one that would be awsome, trying to get my truck finished up and its the last thing I need to order.

Thanks

Foxracing0934

Reaction score
Ya, Pontiacross has one on his pulling truck but it was there when he bought the truck so he didn't know. Do you know if it is the factory tailgate on it?

JD3020

Reaction score
Don't mean to hi-jack, but are the bedsides and tailgates on rock-auto and the other sites a decent quality, or are they something cheap that'll rust out in a year?

Foxracing0934

Reaction score
Sweet, I'll have to give them a call and get one ordered up. And JD, I got a driver side front fender from LMC and it didnt seem to be to bad. It wasn't quite as solid sounding as the factory one but it was still fairly well built.

PSDSeven.3

Reaction score
My 94 IDIT has one, it is an XL but it has that tailgate and it matches the factory two-tone.

JD3020

Reaction score
Sweet, I'll have to give them a call and get one ordered up. And JD, I got a driver side front fender from LMC and it didnt seem to be to bad. It wasn't quite as solid sounding as the factory one but it was still fairly well built.

Ok. This thread has got me thinking also. My tailgate(along with the rest of the body) is pure junk, and it wouldn't be that expensive to get one of these repro tailgates and paint it.

And my 1990 F-250 XL, 300 I-6, purely base truck has the tailgate.

Last edited:

Foxracing0934

Reaction score
Ok so I checked out NPD's online catalog and looked at page 149, that is the early 80's version of the tailgate I'm looking for. It has the indented area around the ford stamping. I haven't gotten to calling rock auto yet but hopefully they can get me pointed in the right direction.

PSDEng

Reaction score
Mine came off an 89.
truck.jpg

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
Mine came off an 89.
truck.jpg
That looks slick man. I wanted a roll pan but with it being lifted i use my bumper for a step too often. If it were my truck i would have the letter painted silver.

Im interested in what everyone has to say about rockauto replacement panels. One of my bed sides is bubbling and so is the bottom of my tailgate. Wanting to get it taken care of after this coming winter.

RBernardi

Reaction score
Ok so I checked out NPD's online catalog and looked at page 149, that is the early 80's version of the tailgate I'm looking for. It has the indented area around the ford stamping. I haven't gotten to calling rock auto yet but hopefully they can get me pointed in the right direction.

Sorry it wasn't much help. i could load adobe flash player so i was only goin off what i read. hope the search ends soon.

JD3020

Reaction score
That looks slick man. I wanted a roll pan but with it being lifted i use my bumper for a step too often. If it were my truck i would have the letter painted silver.

Im interested in what everyone has to say about rockauto replacement panels. One of my bed sides is bubbling and so is the bottom of my tailgate. Wanting to get it taken care of after this coming winter.

Same here. Its impossible to find decent beds, or really any OBS body panel around here so it'd be nice if those parts are good.