Beans Diesel Tuner = Extra 58 hp..

Status
Not open for further replies.

muff

Reaction score
..over my DP tuner! Jonathan from Beans had come up to the diesel shop www.dieselshopct.com and I had a chance to dyno and tune my '00 and '01 7.3s.

This is my '01 2wd with 72k miles and a 4" mbrp, 6637 filter, Riffraff hpx & FRx.

flatbed.jpg

Jonathan had made awesome power out of my '00 but I was hesitant about spending the money on his tuner when this truck already ran so well with the DP tuner. It is my "work" truck and mostly sees highway miles but has always been fun to drive. I wanted to dyno it and see what it hit for numbers. Jonathan said lets dyno the DP, and then I'll install my chip and you can see how it stacks up. That got me excited and man what a difference!

DP Tuner 80e = 306.5hp
DP Tuner 120r = 286.7hp
Beans Hot = 364.5hp

Beans hot tune runs very strong and cleans up well compared to the old 120r. I can't thank Jonathan enough! I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him, get some dyno time in and live tune my trucks. He made sure I was completely satisfied with the power and shift points, and burnt some very clean tunes..except for lobe & smoke :rockon:

I don't want this turning into a DP vs. Beans thread but I wanted to post my results for other members on here.

----------------------

I will be doing a post on my other truck soon! (555hp/1200ftlb)
blacktruck.jpg

Last edited:

average

Reaction score
Are we talking chip as is vs chip as is or live tune vs live tune out of curiosity?

muff

Reaction score
Are we talking chip as is vs chip as is or live tune vs live tune out of curiosity?

Ah yes I should have mentioned that. I never had my DP live tuned and unfortunately I don't have a sheet here for Beans when he first installed it. It was right around 350..

Cody

Reaction score
muff so what your saying is out the gate with beans "stock" tunes you ran 350ish?

EDIT: stock as in non live

muff

Reaction score
muff so what your saying is out the gate with beans "stock" tunes you ran 350ish?

EDIT: stock as in non live

That's correct! I'm going to try and see if I can get a dyno sheet from beans first run. It was somewhere between 345-355.

After tuning a couple hours with my other truck and watching everyone elses pulls I couldn't handle all of the numbers. I actually made Jon put the DP back in after running his so we could see what the dp 120 made

bama29fan

Reaction score
i dont know anything about beans and their tunes but more power does not always equal better....how is that power being made? How long is it going to hold together?

Again....not saying that beans tunes are unsafe....i really have no idea?

just something to think about

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
i dont know anything about beans and their tunes but more power does not always equal better....how is that power being made? How long is it going to hold together?

Again....not saying that beans tunes are unsafe....i really have no idea?

just something to think about

That is exactly what I am thinking. I'm not doubting that they are good clean tunes, but who knows for sure.

I know I would gladly cut 60hp to keep my truck alive.

Good luck with these tunes and let us all know how they work out!

thuglike

Reaction score
Any tuner you go with for live tuning will be safer than mailed in tunes.

It's safe to say, for instance, that Muff's 80 tune from Jody would be "safer" if it was live tuned and so on and so forth. Jonathan tunes are "safer" live tuned than not. When the tuner is live tuning the truck each variable he changes can be monitored with AE, eyes and ears and in this case a dyno. Every tuner can milk more hp out of their own tunes during a live tune session.

Every truck Jon live tuned this past weekend picked up hp.....dramatic hp!!!!

Live tuning is the only way to go...no matter who your tuner is!!!!!

bama29fan

Reaction score
Any tuner you go with for live tuning will be safer than mailed in tunes.

It's safe to say, for instance, that Muff's 80 tune from Jody would be "safer" if it was live tuned and so on and so forth. Jonathan tunes are "safer" live tuned than not. When the tuner is live tuning the truck each variable he changes can be monitored with AE, eyes and ears and in this case a dyno. Every tuner can milk more hp out of their own tunes during a live tune session.

Every truck Jon live tuned this past weekend picked up hp.....dramatic hp!!!!

Live tuning is the only way to go...no matter who your tuner is!!!!!

agree but even with live tuning it's all a matter of Risk vs. Reward.

thuglike

Reaction score
Guys...here is a FACT that needs to be realized. It's not a matter of if it will go...It's a matter of when. The second you chip your rig you take it out of it's designed map.

You run the risk everytime you drive it. Once you get over the fear of popping the motor you'll enjoy it a whole lot more. If you are worried about the motor going...keep it stock.

There are no guaranteed tunes or upgrades from anyone.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Does the lower HP on the 120r vs. the 80e mean you don't have enough oil/fuel for the 120r? You'd think the 120 would hit harder...

If that's typical, why get the 120 at all?

Love to see what Jody could do compared to your Beans live tune on the same truck...

If I had the cash I'd love to try other tuners chips/tunes. Spent my cash on the DP so now I'll stick with it!

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Does the lower HP on the 120r vs. the 80e mean you don't have enough oil/fuel for the 120r? You'd think the 120 would hit harder...

Love to see what Jody could do compared to your Beans live tune on the same truck...

If I had the cash I'd love to try other tuners chips/tunes. Spent my cash on the DP so now I'll stick with it!

I would like to see this as well.

I'm sure all the tuners can do miraculous things when live tuning, so I bet it would be fun to watch.

It would be fun to run a bunch of different tuners, but I'm like you. I spent my money on my DP F6 lol

bama29fan

Reaction score
Guys...here is a FACT that needs to be realized. It's not a matter of if it will go...It's a matter of when. The second you chip your rig you take it out of it's designed map.

You run the risk everytime you drive it. Once you get over the fear of popping the motor you'll enjoy it a whole lot more. If you are worried about the motor going...keep it stock.

I'll agree with you again

Atsah

Reaction score

That's a fact..

thuglike

Reaction score

It's usually 1 or 2 tweeks to a table...fuel, timing, timing delay, icp, duty cycle that will jump the 120 numbers way up. I picked up 60 hp by lowering the timing 2 degrees way back when. Picked up another 17 by raising the ICP.

It's the perfect example why live tuning is so important...what works on 1 truck doesn't mean it will on another. All the tunes you get mailed to you are just a base tune. The real power and economy is found with the live tune session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online