goose neck ball questions

Cody

Reaction score
what do you guys run for a rise on balls?

the ball i think im going to go with is a

30k pound 2 5/16
2" rise
1 1/2" shank diameter
2 3/4" shank length

do they make a higher rise ball, or do i want a higher rise ball?

Charles

Reaction score
What's the point of the rise? Why wouldn't you adjust the trailer tongue if you wanted the neck to sit higher from the truck bed?

Cody

Reaction score
so your saying there is no need for the rise? and if i have to haul trailers that i dont haul 24/7 and dont wanna adjust the trailer

Charles

Reaction score
so your saying there is no need for the rise? and if i have to haul trailers that i dont haul 24/7 and dont wanna adjust the trailer

What, is the truck a low-rider or have a really tall bedside or something?

Fwiw, I pull the same trailer with a bone stock 550 and a 250 with a 6" lift on 35's. I'm legitimately wondering where a rise ball fits into the mix here.

cj45lc

Reaction score
I didn't know you could get a different rise on the gn ball, thought that's why the trailers had the adjustment on the tongue. The more the ball sticks up the more horizontal sheer is going to be put on it.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
The more the ball sticks up the more horizontal sheer is going to be put on it.

That's what I was thinking. Probably a good idea to stick to a regular ball, and as already pointed out there's really no reason for a rise ball IMO.

Cody

Reaction score
ok im building a GN hitch for my truck, i have 7/8x 14'' wide plate.. going to have a welded nut on the plate that stretches my frame rails and i wanted to screw the ball into the nut, put a cotter key in it or some type of pin to keep it from unscrewing, the ball will have with tabs welded on for safety chains and to beat it out when not in use, that is why i wanted to run a ball with a rise..

cfdeng7

Reaction score
ok im building a GN hitch for my truck, i have 7/8x 14'' wide plate.. going to have a welded nut on the plate that stretches my frame rails and i wanted to screw the ball into the nut, put a cotter key in it or some type of pin to keep it from unscrewing, the ball will have with tabs welded on for safety chains and to beat it out when not in use, that is why i wanted to run a ball with a rise..

Personally I would never build a hitch for anything but a farm truck that doesn't leave the property. And that is not because I am not confident in my fabricating skills it is for insurance and liability reasons. God forbid anything ever happens and somebody gets hurt the liabilty is on you. not to mention the first time you have to panic brake on a grade and worry if those welds are solid or if you used thick enough material or are you going to have the trailer riding shotgun with you.

For the few hundred bucks a hitch is its worth the peace of mind imo. but if you go the homemade route attach the saftey chains seperatly from the ball. What good do the chains do if the ball breaks or comes off somehow.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I put one in my current truck last weekend and used 1" thick 12" buy 36" plate. Torched a hole and welded the nut to the plate. Pulled great and im going to add a side plate next weekend for a little insurance. I have 40 bucks in the whole thing ball and all. I used 3/8" u bolts through the bed for safety chains so when im done they drop back in. Also if you go to tractor supply look at the hitch they sell. About a joke and made out of nothing for almost 200 bucks. I trust mine much more.

WeBeStrokin

Reaction score

I see you are from Ohio and I think before you build a hitch for your truck and start heading down the highway you had first better check your local DOT laws, cause Ohio is pretty much the same as Pennsylvania and they really enforce their towing laws and will right you up really bad for a safety issue if you use your ball as a place to hook safety chains. And unless you are a certified welder I wouldn't even try building a hitch. And as far as a rise ball you don't need one. IMO just buy a B&W turnover system and install it or have it installed and let it be. The best money you will ever spend on a hitch and very DOT legal.

Latest posts

Members online