How to limit smoke

Stroked777

Reaction score
I was following behind my gf when she was driving my truck and I never realized how much it hazes/smokes under even very light acceleration, how do I go about changing this to make it not smoke at all under light/moderate acceleration? The base file I'm using is hd300, could it be from running open vanes at idle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yes that could be most of it close them down first and see how it does. If not limit the low boost fueling

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
On the canned sct race tune I had my truck on mine did the same thing, I could see a haze everytime i took off from a light, once i put in my tunes from innovative it went away, even on the x race it didn't smoke at all from a light.

sootie

Reaction score
have you tried custom tunes at all? i cant remember...

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah I have Gearhead tunes but I also like messing with my own tuning to further understand what's happening inside the motor. It doesn't do it on matts tunes

MrMike2010

Reaction score
Start off using a stock hs tune with the low boost setting on 0. That should clean up most the haze. I believe hs sets the tune at 3 if you don't change it.

MrMike2010

Reaction score
If that doesn't help check out the thread mike haller started in this section if you haven't already checked it out. He goes into pretty good detail on how to limit smoke. Has some good screen shots too to give you a better idea. It's the last thread on the second page

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Low boost fueling is probably the most difficult thing to tune correctly.

The main problem is you need fuel to spool but too much fuel smokes, so there is a VERY fine line to making it responsive and makinging it not smoke too much.

Here is what i can say that will help. what i would do is go find that area that hazes, watch RPM, boost and MM3, make it smoke, note all three things and then drive it where it wont smoke, and note mm3, thats a pretty good baseline to making it not smoke, also changing rail pressure to come up before pulse width will also help smoke control. So basically when you are driving your pw might stay at say 500 us and your rail pressure will come up first, obviously you dont want rail to hit 24k everytime you touch the throttle but making it come up to 15k fast is pretty good start.

SO note your rail pressure where it smokes too, you might be able to get it out of it by bumping up the rail. my little truck starts at 7500 at idle to keep it from smoking so i have a head start on rail pressure compared to a stock truck

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah I know it's a fine line there, I'll just have to play around. I think bumping RP will help a lot with it.

I just remembered that thread mike had. I'll have to go reference it again

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Low boost fueling is probably the most difficult thing to tune correctly.

The main problem is you need fuel to spool but too much fuel smokes, so there is a VERY fine line to making it responsive and makinging it not smoke too much.

Here is what i can say that will help. what i would do is go find that area that hazes, watch RPM, boost and MM3, make it smoke, note all three things and then drive it where it wont smoke, and note mm3, thats a pretty good baseline to making it not smoke, also changing rail pressure to come up before pulse width will also help smoke control. So basically when you are driving your pw might stay at say 500 us and your rail pressure will come up first, obviously you dont want rail to hit 24k everytime you touch the throttle but making it come up to 15k fast is pretty good start.

SO note your rail pressure where it smokes too, you might be able to get it out of it by bumping up the rail. my little truck starts at 7500 at idle to keep it from smoking so i have a head start on rail pressure compared to a stock truck

Great info as usual :thumbsup:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
my little truck starts at 7500 at idle to keep it from smoking so i have a head start on rail pressure compared to a stock truck

Was 7500 the best idle RP? right now i'm trying to figure out if the RP at idle is what causing the truck to have a slight "up and down" idle.

SCT GH Race

It idles around 5000-5200 and when the idle starts going "up and down" it ranges from 4600-5200, is that to low of a idle RP?

base fuel pressure is excellent, HPFP is in good health STFT are excellent at idle, no excessive blowby. oil and fuel fuel filters are new.

Thanks

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Was 7500 the best idle RP? right now i'm trying to figure out if the RP at idle is what causing the truck to have a slight "up and down" idle.

SCT GH Race

It idles around 5000-5200 and when the idle starts going "up and down" it ranges from 4600-5200, is that to low of a idle RP?

base fuel pressure is excellent, HPFP is in good health STFT are excellent at idle, no excessive blowby. oil and fuel fuel filters are new.

Thanks
The lower the rail pressure the quieter the engine will be, so if its not smoking or hazing then its fine. The RPM hunt could be it swapping between a couple tables or something else. Without troubleshooting it its hard to say.

ckrueg

Reaction score
The lower the rail pressure the quieter the engine will be, so if its not smoking or hazing then its fine. The RPM hunt could be it swapping between a couple tables or something else. Without troubleshooting it its hard to say.
When you say swapping between tables do you mean it's going from configuration tables? for example switching from configuration 0 and configuration 1?

Latest posts

Members online