Water in the vacuum pump?

AZStang

Reaction score
Every time I go splashing through the rain, I seem to get water sucked into the vacuum pump. Not sure how it gets in there, but it makes an awful noise. It eventually dries out after a couple days. Pump is a year old.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Shawn

Tom S

Reaction score
No, I cannot recall a post about that in the past 10 years either.

AZStang

Reaction score
Not sure what to do then other than just replace it and hope this one is defective in some way. The pump is new and not a reman.

Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Check all of your hoses going to the pump and make sure none of them are cracked or have holes in them.

I had assumed there was something on the pump itself that could be letting the water in, but what you say makes sense. Since the pump is always pulling a vacuum, it would seem that the only way water could get into it would be through a broken vacuum hose somewhere. I don't hear any vacuum leaks, but that doesn't mean there isn't a small one letting water in.

You seem to be having some issues with this water stuff.. And what Steve said ^^

I know - and it hardly ever even rains here. But that's also what is causing all the rubber parts to fall apart.

Shawn

genuineford

Reaction score
These trucks are so loud it is hard to hear a vacuum leak if there is one.There are not too many vacuum lines so it should be pretty easy to trace them all out.

I had assumed there was something on the pump itself that could be letting the water in, but what you say makes sense. Since the pump is always pulling a vacuum, it would seem that the only way water could get into it would be through a broken vacuum hose somewhere. I don't hear any vacuum leaks, but that doesn't mean there isn't a small one letting water in.

I know - and it hardly ever even rains here. But that's also what is causing all the rubber parts to fall apart.

Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Took a look at it this morning and all the hoses looked good. I removed the main vacuum line going to the pump, attached a hand vacuum pump, and it held vacuum fine. I switched the HVAC to all the different settings and it still held. Started it and tried all the different HVAC settings again and it still held. So, I don't know where the water is getting in, but all the hoses are fine.

Another question, what is the small black plastic thing attached to the vacuum distribution block by the under hood fuse box with the electrical wires going to it? It has a vacuum line going to it as well.

Shawn

Latest posts