tranny leakin??? help

Awesome

Reaction score
so its leakin from the front of the bell housing where it meets the engine... so anyone know what it might be?.. also if theres not alot of fluid in it will it run hotter?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
front pump seal most likely..
earlier ones were good for cracking the torque convertor..

Racer X

Reaction score
Did it leak when you got it hot?

:whs:

if theres not alot of fluid in it will it run hotter?

YES. Fluid is the life blood of your transmission. It's used in a 4R100 transmission for hydraulic pressure, lubrication and heat transfer for cooling.

How low was it run on fluid before the leak was noticed?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
mine started leaking (front pump seal) a few years ago when off roading, i limped er back home and by the time i got there 30 min later the leak had stopped, topped off tranny fluid and it didnt leak a drop for about 3 weeks then it started leaking again for a few hours then stopped. never once got "hot" by dash temp gauge. had to tow 12k pounds of trailer 800 miles round trip so i got er replace before it started leaking again

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
never once got "hot" by dash temp gauge.

The overall temp in the pan doesn't have to rise for the seal to leak. If you power brake long enough, it will leak because the area of fluid around the seal has heated up. The dash gauge won't show it because that hot fluid cools back down pretty quick once it hits the cooler fluid & cooler metal elsewhere in the transmission.
Offroading could do it since the torque converter isn't locked. Pretty much the same conditions as power braking, except the wheels are moving a little.

Anyone have a good write up on the front pump seal? Any way to verify it is bad?

Sam

It's pretty simple. You drop the transmission and T/C, pull the T/C off, pull the seal off, drive new seal on, slip T/C back on (make sure it's seated all the way, the face should be 1/2" -1" past the bellhousing mounting face), and put the transmission & T/C back in the truck. The worst part for me is horsing the transfer case on and off.

It either leaks, or it doesn't. No really good way to 'test', unless you want to power brake for a while and let it puke fluid everywhere.

Awesome

Reaction score
ok so i toped it off then it was good for a few days then the other day it got up twards 180 and it leaked again i shut it off for a few then it was fine.... ugh wat do yall think it is... and how hard is it to change the seal?

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
ok so i toped it off then it was good for a few days then the other day it got up twards 180 and it leaked again i shut it off for a few then it was fine.... ugh wat do yall think it is... and how hard is it to change the seal?

If you've never pulled the transmission, but you're fairly good with mechanical stuff, allow 3-4 hours, maybe a little more.
It's not really technically difficult. Getting to a couple of the bellhousing bolts can be a challenge, and if you don't have the transmission balanced on the jack right, it gets mighty exciting, mighty fast under there.
It's just a lip seal you pull out with pliers and tap in with a small hammer. Not difficult at all.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
i would def suggest gettng a tranny jack from someone. it makes it 100 times easier. you can set tranny down with a jack to tilt the motor back enough so you can get at the bell housing bolts.

Arisley

Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not try to be he man and think you can just unbolt it and lower it by arm strength. These trannies are heavy.

dmd

Reaction score

Dont shut it off when it is hot, pull over an let it run at high idle to cool off. Turning it off just lets it sit and bake in the heat. Keeping the fluid moving and
running through the coolers is what you want to do.

TARM

Reaction score
You sure you are getting full flow thru the trans cooler and lines? Bypass line as well.

My thoughts are the leak should not be causing the heating. But what ever is causing the heat could be causing the leaking like high pressure and flow restriction

Awesome

Reaction score
how can i see if the lines r clogged?... where is the tranny cooler on em?