Tps ?

95powersmoker

Reaction score
I found this... Hopefully it helps you...

You can test the TPS :You need to put a voltmeter across the GY/W and the GY/R wires on the connector to the TPS. With the key on, watch the voltage across the range of the throttle to see if there is any flat spots. You should see no less than .37 volts at idle position and no more than 4.5 volts at full throttle. The the third wire, (BRN/W), is the ref. voltage and should be 5 volts all the time.

Deereman4020

Reaction score
Well basically I have an real rough idle and it sounds like the truck is trying to shake itself apart, or has a miss, it will go away and smoothen up once i touch the pedal and give it some fuel(minimum of 700 rpms to smoothen out) and when I fire up the truck it will idle smooth for about 5 seconds then go right to the choppy idle and pick up a few hundred RPMs.

Deereman4020

Reaction score
I swapped out the IDM already with a known good IDM, in trying to follow codes that i was told were found when i bought the truck, i know i could use a new main engine harness due to the current one on the truck being spliced together.

Charles

Reaction score
Just unplug the TPS...

It's not the TPS. But completely unplug it and fire the truck up. When nothing changes, you can avoid wasting anymore time on it.

ActionRick

Reaction score
I swapped out the IDM already with a known good IDM, in trying to follow codes that i was told were found when i bought the truck, i know i could use a new main engine harness due to the current one on the truck being spliced together.
You can test the injector solenoids if you are up to it ,

On each valve cover connection there are five pins. The outermost pins (pins 1 & 5) are for the glowplugs. They should not have continuity with each other or the center three. The center three are for two of the injectors in each bank. The ohm reading between each outermost injector(pins 2 & 4) and the center pin (pin 3) should be about 3.2 ohms (if I remember correctly. Pins 2 & 4 should also not have continuity with each other.

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
You can try this as well, start the truck in neutral and see if the truck idles normally without touching the throttle. My truck had a sparatic idle on start up all the time and even starting in neutral. But I replaced my Transmission Range Selector and my sparatic idle on startup went away.

Wicked94Z

Reaction score
I found this... Hopefully it helps you...

You can test the TPS :You need to put a voltmeter across the GY/W and the GY/R wires on the connector to the TPS. With the key on, watch the voltage across the range of the throttle to see if there is any flat spots. You should see no less than .37 volts at idle position and no more than 4.5 volts at full throttle. The the third wire, (BRN/W), is the ref. voltage and should be 5 volts all the time.

Old thread... but this helped me diagnose my TPS. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online