Detroit 8-53

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Today I got me a supercharged (roots style) Detroit 8-53 that is in great condition. I've always got some stupid project going, so I thought this would fit right in with my plans! LOL

Basically I'm just looking for anyone with any knowledge of this motor. Performance potential? A tyranny it'll bolt up to if I decide to turn it into a pulling rig? Anything? Jason, if anyone would know I bet its you.

I can't find a place to put this so if a mod knows where to put it please do so.

Last edited:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Ok. I lied. Its an 8v71. 71 cubic inches per cylinder. That's a total of 568 cubes. I also found out it is rated at 304 brake hp and 800ftlbs of torque. I also found out there are a couple F-350's somewhere on the Eastern half of the country with this motor in them. Thats about all i can find. Anybody with anything else?

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Pumps, Injectors, yadda yadda yadda. most pickup truck drop in's have been 4-53s because of their size an higher RPMs..... as for a trans..... granddad used a clark in his detroit powered ford back in the 80's, but there are a variety of trans that will bolt up

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I gave less for it than it is worth as scrap metal. What should I do with it? Would it be worth it to make it a project? Anybody want the blower off it? Lol!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Ok. I lied. Its an 8v71. 71 cubic inches per cylinder. That's a total of 568 cubes. I also found out it is rated at 304 brake hp and 800ftlbs of torque. I also found out there are a couple F-350's somewhere on the Eastern half of the country with this motor in them. Thats about all i can find. Anybody with anything else?

Leid Diesel is the guys that have done it and they know everything there is to know about them. I don't think they have a website though....

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
That's true. I think it would be cool to find a late 50's Mack and stick it in there!! I don't know. Like I said, I got it retarded cheap so it really doesn't matter what happens to it. I may just pull the blower and scrap it. I just want to know if it could serve a purpose first though.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
you could make your money back pretty easy parting it out.... all of the internals are the same for the entire 71 series from the 1-71 all the way up to the 16v-71

oldschool

Reaction score
I don't think a pickup would be heavy enough for an 8 71 thans alot of motor transmission issues, frame strength, suspension, use to run them hauling gravel with a 40 ft belly dump.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
8V71 - thats a good noisemaker you got there! OK power can be made - but its certainly not a pickup engine. Remember to slam the door on your hand when your getting into the truck with one of those installed.

pontiacross

Reaction score
8V71 - thats a good noisemaker you got there! OK power can be made - but its certainly not a pickup engine. Remember to slam the door on your hand when your getting into the truck with one of those installed.

:whs:
drive it like you stole it ! lol