Anybody hauling behind a fifth wheel?

kmanxj

Reaction score
I am buying a 28 foot fifth wheel and am looking into hauling my jeep behind it. Thinking of starting out with it on a car dolly, then trying the car trailer.

Just looking for input from folks that have done this.

rray37375

Reaction score
Know that towing anything behind a fifth-wheel trailer is not legal in all states. Double towing is prohibited by non-commercial drivers in most states in the East. I have a friend in the Florida Highway Patrol who writes tickets for double towing by the ticket pad full on Interstate 10.

kmanxj

Reaction score
That is incorrect. In michigan you can get a rec double endorsment, there are a few rules, main one being length of the rig has to be under 65'.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
He is right. I know in some states it is only a Comm. with doubles in order to tow double. 65' might sound long but once you measure stuff it gets long quick. My fiver and dually is in the 62' range.

renegade

Reaction score
My rig is 73 ft long, a 32ft 5'r and a 18ft boat. I don't even notice the length, something about over 4 million miles commercial I guess. However most 5th wheelers would not be able to handle the weight of a Jeep on a trailer, the frames are not strong enough and that much weight would really mess with your pin weight causing it to tow very strangely at best. Don't even consider a towing dolly you would wind up with a bad case of the tail wagging the dog, I've seen it, the guy made less than 5 miles before hitting the ditch.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I would do ap transfer case lockout system and a tow war no extra tires axles etc just my opinion from trying all three behind a bus that. Ding said my 5er has 1.5" reci vet that will NEVER tow anything but will May get a rack

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
I have a 28ft fiver and ive pulled a 19' boat and 2 jetskis on another trip.
You'll want to keep the tongue weight on the back of the fiver under 8-900lbs and towed weight probably under 5k for sure, those hitches arent rated for much if anything

My neighbor just bought a brand new fiver and he said they'll warranty the rear hitch if the tongue weight is under 800lbs and up to a 3000lb load

Latest posts

Members online