Take a stab at this one...

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
It's nothing in the front cover, and I haven't had the filter off to cut it apart and look yet...

Took every rocker and pushrod out, they're all fine.

Dropped the trans thinkin TC, still made noise with only a flexplate on the engine. Flex plate appears fine as well.

Might get a new set of lifters and try those if I don't find anything in the filter. Spent a minute lookin at one of my spare motors and I'm pretty sure I can swap all 16 lifters with the heads on in the truck. 12 years as a helo mechanic might pay off with that project.

Vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***CopHIAe8

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Probably right Ryan.

But, if the engine comes out of the truck, a forged rod engine isn't goin back in.

rc4wd

Reaction score
Last time i had a truck sound like that it didn't turn out to well. Is there any metal in the pan?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Not really anymore crap than normal in the HPOP res. With it gettin unfilter oil and all on start up I figured that screen would catch something but...

JMart

Reaction score
That sucks. I would be upset if my truck was sounding like that.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Only thing that really bothers me, is I put this in because I'd been beating the hell outa my PMR engine for over 20k and I was gettin nervous.

I got about 1000 miles outa this long block before this started.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
No noise on high idle. Runs perfectly.

I drove it to the shop and back when I thought it was the trans tearing up and you didn't know a thing was wrong with it until you let it drop to idle.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Oil pressure at 180* EOT is 18ish at idle, but only goes to 40 at 3300 RPM also.

Never put a no chit oil pressure gauge on another 7.3, so I don't know if those numbers are typical.

But they don't match the shop manual.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
No noise on high idle. Runs perfectly.

I drove it to the shop and back when I thought it was the trans tearing up and you didn't know a thing was wrong with it until you let it drop to idle.

So just run the piss out of it and you wont ever know any differently LOL

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
My truck ran fantastic under a load with the boost coming on, but one of my cylinders was virtually dead.

But maybe the motor evens out more once its been rev'd up. But at idle it shakes around so much that it makes noises

ParkerFly

Reaction score
My truck does something similar, but nowhere near as bad. At idle there's a distinct rattle, and from underneath the truck it sounds like the transmission (5 speed). Anything above idle, load or no load it's fine. Been like that for about 30k or so I guess, maybe more.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
So just run the piss out of it and you wont ever know any differently LOL

I've thought about it believe me. The only hook this engine got was a failure at Beans this winter.

But I don't have a burning desire to add another 7.3 block to the scrap pile.

doesn't make sense, does it make noise under load

None. Runs smooth as silk. Power did not degrade either.

My truck does something similar, but nowhere near as bad. At idle there's a distinct rattle, and from underneath the truck it sounds like the transmission (5 speed). Anything above idle, load or no load it's fine. Been like that for about 30k or so I guess, maybe more.

A dodge buddy of mine smoked a TC testing some new injectors a couple winters ago. Tore 5 of the 6 bolts out of his "billet" TC.

That's what this sounds like at idle.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I don't think they do. But the only windage plate I'm familiar with is a clutch thing on snow cats.

About everything in the oil pan is serious, anything loose in there would/will show itself given enough throttle or time.

Latest posts

Members online