anyone convert their trailer to 8x170???

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I was thinking about running a billet wheel spacer or something to run a 8x170 wheel (cuz i have stacks of stockers) mostly because 16s anymore dont exist, i hate trailer tires because they dont last and they are pricey.

I have 2 full sets of 17s and 1 set of 18s that i would like to use up on a trailer, tread isnt great but for a trailer they would be perfect since most of the times they dry rot before they wear out.

Thoughts please

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The offset of a factory ford wheel should be fine with a 1.5 or 2 inch spacer from what i can tell, most of the time i have issues with stock dodge and gm wheels because they are too inset and the rub on the INSIDE of the fender or leaf spring.

I understand you gotta spend money on tires but i got stacks of them, i can get wheel spacers for the same prices as 1 tire so why not? Plus it would be nice for the truck and trailer to have similar spare if you really got in a bind like overloaded or something and had issues. I think im going to redo my fenders anyway and ill build them a little wider to run a little more offset on the wheel.

Spatel23

Reaction score
honestly.....I couldnt stand the thought of hauling heavy with a spacer on the trailer.
I guess it would just depend on what you are hauling.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Do spacers on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck bother you?

I think as long as you're not hauling extremely heavy you wold be ok.

-KCCO-

Dzchey21

Reaction score
trailer is rated for 14k, so each tire should be rated at 3500 lbs, i would imagine on a truck the spacers should be rated for that much or more

Wheels are aluminum and not even as thick as the spacers so im not sure it would matter?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
this is my short term solution for now

20140526_152741.jpg

JMart

Reaction score
i wish we could convert ours. That thing eats tires up, but there isn't room for anything larger.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Sledgehammer have anything to do with it? Lol

Looks good, I wouldn't see spacers causing any problems.

*** yeah LOL , the fender is straighter now than in the pics.

these didnt take spacers these are the last set of 8x6.5 wheels i own and the last full set of 16 inch tires i have LOL

Most spacers dont have an actual load rating is the only reason i asked. Im still probably going to order a set but we will see how these 33 inch tall tires work on the trailer LOL

1badpsd

Reaction score
Ive wanted to do this on my gooseneck not so much convert to 8x170 just put a set of 18x9 962's to match my truck

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I don't have any issue with spacers, be it on a truck or trailer.
We have a side dump trailer at the farm with 1.5" spacers on each wheel so that we can run flotation tires.
Other than slightly accelerated bearing wear we have had no issues, even grossing 80k.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.