4r100, whats your opinion

littleredstroker

Reaction score
while lookin around on craigslist i found a guy here in town that has a 4R100 with 25k on it. It has a multi-disc lock up TC, has the better disc plates and a shift kit in the valve body, he wanted 1500$ I told him i would give him 900$. would anybody be cautious or would this be a decent deal? I have a stock tranny that Is on its way out. He said the reason he removed it was he did the zf6 conversion

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Id give it a shot, but give him half and pay to have it checked out. Thenif it all checks out give him the other half

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Lol yeah. He's got all his recipts for stuff that went into it, also he said he was a mechanic at ford here in town for 4 years and now works at cat and has for the last 6 years in the component shop rebuilding trannys on equip so it sounds like he halfway knows what he is doing. I know a lot of guys that work with him at cat and they all say he is a nice honest guy and does good work

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Lol yeah. He's got all his recipts for stuff that went into it, also he said he was a mechanic at ford here in town for 4 years and now works at cat and has for the last 6 years in the component shop rebuilding trannys on equip so it sounds like he halfway knows what he is doing. I know a lot of guys that work with him at cat and they all say he is a nice honest guy and does good work

Well sounds good to me, id pick it up for sure.

Aljay

Reaction score
Do it Hell my 4r100 swap trans was a ford reman off Ebay I paid 200 for it its seen a few boosted 4x4 launches and still keeps on. Best 200 I spent well that and the converter purchase. I have 1100 in my 4r .

Arisley

Reaction score
Especially if he doesn't want a core. You could take your time (hopefully) and have your original built really strong. Put it in and probably get all of your money back on selling the 900 dollar one. Make sure you get a core for it. A spare tranny is a sweet thing to have laying around.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Their converter that is billet triple disk, triple clutch is only $349 ?

The same type that suncoast costs $1000+, PATC costs $1300ish, and the like wise.

Id pass and buy one from a known company.

97stoker350

Reaction score
theres a guy that wants to switch trans with me, he has the 97 automatic which im guessing is the e4od and will pay to have my zf5 swapped out for his automatic. would this be a good decision or not

Racer X

Reaction score

Beware of Ebay sellers. First red flag they can't spell triple correctly. 2. They look like the same company from Tampa FL that keeps changing user ids when negative feedback catches up with them. 3. The e-bay sellers Aamco tech would earn more if he worked for Aamco. 4. Aamco won't sell performance transmissions, or warranty their stock transmission rebuilds if you have any performance mods.

Put in a chip or intake -- Aamco's warranty is void. 5. Aamco and Ford don't train their techs to build performance trannys at all. Stock vehicles owners are the only rebuild customers they are interested in.
Ford closed many of their training centers in the 1990's and outsources their Ford re-man transmissions to the lowest bidder. They are now Ford Authorized re-manufactured transmissions.

6. Ford Authorized re-manufactured transmissions: The only parts guaranteed to be new in their rebuilds are gaskets and seals...:shocked:
All other parts are "quality inspected."

That means used clutches, torque converters and all other parts not worn beyond 60% will be reused in their units. A "quality renewed part" means it's used but it has been cleaned… :doh:

Below is a Ford re-man. tranny brochure. Read between the lines and ignore the terminology used to make it sound better than a re-man built with used parts a quality stock rebuilder would replace with new parts.

Notice they don't claim they even use Ford parts at all if they do decide to replace any...:shocked: 7. There is nothing cheap in a real high performance part, engine, transmission, axle, or vehicle. 8. The other way to sell transmissions this cheap is to cut corners--you will get used parts you wouldn't elsewhere if you buy this transmission.

9. In a nut shell: The e-bay transmission and Fords re-man transmissions are for stock vehicle owners looking for the cheapest solutions. Most used car dealers look for the cheapest stuff for sold as is cars on their lots. They are not Heavy Duty or High Performance.

10. The e-bay seller is not representing what their product is accurately… Others who do the same, use the term "Quality Renewed" instead of built with used parts.

Click on The e-bay seller’s item description and read it. It's a remanufactured transmission, meaning it has re-used parts a quality stock rebuilder would replace with new. It's a real stretch to describe their re-man transmissions as the same as new with updates! :jawdrop:
They would have to ignore the service life of a new unit vs their re-use everything you possibly can transmissions to say that ... :lame:

To rebuild means: to return to as new condition including service life.

That's the difference, and why it's not even a rebuilt stock transmission, let alone anything high performance or custom built.

If you find a Ford dealer who has a well experienced transmission rebuilder on staff, it's rare today. His experiance will likely be stock rebuilding only. He won't learn anything for rebuilding high performance transmissions for modified trucks or cars working in a Ford dealer. The stock ford transmissions both manual and automatics didn't all hold up behind stock powerstroke diesels. The majority of ford dealer tranny techs have to rely on what can be put in a kit, boxed and sold if they do attempt to rebuild transmissions for modified vehicles.
Kits are a compromise compared to a full custom rebuild. Full customs have improvements that can only be done during rebuild. No one can box that individually, or sell it in any kit.

We're content to let others be known as the sellers of low quality products. Selling low quality is one thing, disguising it as high performance or heavy duty just to sell it is another and self-explanatory.

At least Ford says clearly what their Re-manufactured transmissions are built with if you check it out carefully:

remanbrochure.jpg

Our goal is to build the highest quality full custom transmissions, torque converters, valve bodies and complete powertrains. Anything less won't hold up to performance mods and last for years or a lifetime. :thumbup:

Denver

Reaction score
Racer X hit it on the spot. I would purchase a transmission from a well know shop.

Last edited:

Racer X

Reaction score
Their converter that is billet triple disk, triple clutch is only $349 ?

The same type that suncoast costs $1000+, PATC costs $1300ish, and the like wise.

Id pass and buy one from a known company.

:whs:
We have seen a few of the $349 billet triple disc converters after they failed. They fail catastrophically, one of the same types of failures the stock converter design suffers from. When they fail catastrophically, they fly apart internally. All internal converter parts grind each other up into metal grit. When this particular type of converter failure occurs it's fatal for the entire transmission. The metal grit enters the transmission and grinds up hard parts, clutches, bearings etc. It's the same as putting sand in the fluid or in your engine oil would be. Steve at Magic Smoke Performance had 3 of these fail in 2 years. Over 2 1/2 years ago he bought our Eagle X6TC Triple Disc Billet Converter. It's still going strong over 60,000 miles later in his 500 hp truck.

The $349 billet triple disc converter is a stock converter with the stock cover cut off. Then a thin cover made of 1020 mild steel and billet alloy is welded on. Billet alloy is not the same strength as full billet steel at all. The heat from re-welding warps the re-assembled converter. The same catastropic failure prone internal parts are re-used. The material lost from cutting it open and warp from re-welding it creates some problems. Accurate rebalancing is impossible and contamination from cutting gets inside.

Aftermarket converters are built oversized and are much heavier. Our Eagle Series Torque Converters are full billet plate and have survived flywheel shatter, broken shafts, drums and gearsets.
:)

Latest posts

Members online