goosneck and lifted towing

89 Stroker

Reaction score
my old man is looking into purchasing a 48 foot enclosed trailer , goosneck , flipping the trailer axles , only options to tow it with at the moment are either the 89 (6" with 37's) or the 04 (8" with 40's or 37's) or lower one of them back down to tow it

anyone got any info?

BKopp

Reaction score
I'd lower one back down. Lot of top heavy instability, and horrible towing performance with that big of tire/lift as unless you've regeared the truck it'd be way out of the rpm range. Also mileage towing would really suck. Even 35's with that load is not optimal but do able. I'd go with 33's max. Not to mention potential for ruining the box unless it's a flatbed. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Koda22

Reaction score
4inch and 35s is alright....you could prolly even tow it with a 6inch and 37s....but if your gonna be towing a lot I'd prolly not go over 4inch with 35s

weazel

Reaction score
We have a goose we pull behind this
ynusatut.jpg

But it is a flat bed, it has the axles flipped it does pretty good, it still tows way better than a bumper pull, and we often take it over the mountain passes to get from northern NV to Sacramento/bat area, if we can run those roads it can be done anywhere

Sent from my fortress of awesome

89 Stroker

Reaction score
im not worried about weight or anything , i just didnt know if a truck like mine can safely tow with the lift n such that it is

weazel

Reaction score
The mountain passed wasn't a reference to hills it was reference to curvy roads, so I think you will be fine, there will always be people who will say otherwise but I've done it plenty,

Sent from my fortress of awesome

alradco

Reaction score
My trailer has a 8" lift so it sits level with the truck, but trailer is only 40ft. Tows great, stops great, other than branches and careful selection of fuel stations, no issues at all.

Peter

34sgggl.jpg

bootcamp

Reaction score
Peter, that is a sweet looking set up, ever think about adding trailer lift kits to your product line?? I'd buy one, could you post some more pictures of the under carriage of that camper??

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Lifting a trailer is not that easy once the axles are under the leaf springs. The safest is build a frame which looks like is under that Raptor. If I remember right that style Raptor came with the axles under the springs but the body sits way over the frame so they are really low. 8" seem like a lot but not much when comparing to many other trailers that the body is on the frame and not over it. Many trailers you can get up pretty good without doing that. 6" lift is about the limit on the truck for many toyhaulers. Some are higher though. Mine sat fine over my 04 F350 with a 6" lift on 35's.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Towing our gooseneck hasn't been a problem with 35-37" radial tires, not sure I'd want to go 40s though. Made a couple short trips when I had some bias ply militaries on there, won't do that again. It doesn't sit as level as I'd like so tire wear can be an issue, just have to watch it closer. But then again, you'll have like 20 ft on me... Holy trailer batman!

Last edited:

alradco

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It wouldn't make sense to make kits although everything is pretty simple. Shipping the steel required to do the job would be very expensive. Basically the suspension was cut off the trailer, welded in 8" rect tube, added cross braces over each axle, as well as gussets. I would think that just about any trailer repair shop can do the job pretty easily.

Latest posts

Members online